The Student Room Group

Help with gcse question on Germany

http://prntscr.com/bug5fi - This is a screenshot to the question.

I know the facts for this question I just don't know how to structure it.

Heres what I know......

The Nazis used education as an opportunity to 'brainwash' children about how successful the Nazis had been.

Boys were taught physical education in order to prepare them to become strong soldiers when they grow up.

Girls were being taught subjects that prepare them to become mothers and look after their children
I would start by discussing how education was controlled in ways such as using
eugenics as subject and the purpose of Hitler's youth. I would then go on to talk about
how it was important to the Nazi Party in ways such reinforcing propaganda by teaching from
a young age and helping them build a better German nation. I would also mention key dates.
Reply 2
So how could I start the sentence?
Original post by Atticus88
I would start by discussing how education was controlled in ways such as using
eugenics as subject and the purpose of Hitler's youth. I would then go on to talk about
how it was important to the Nazi Party in ways such reinforcing propaganda by teaching from
a young age and helping them build a better German nation. I would also mention key dates.
I use the word indoctrination for brainwashing.

Another reason is that they thought that if they taught the children Nazi ideologies they would grow up to be good Nazis.

You could also talk about the youth groups- the Hitler Youth and the League of German Maidens. That became compulsory in 1936 and all other youth organisations were banned.
Reply 4
How could I structure my answer by using my points from earlier?
Original post by niv1234
I use the word indoctrination for brainwashing.

Another reason is that they thought that if they taught the children Nazi ideologies they would grow up to be good Nazis.

You could also talk about the youth groups- the Hitler Youth and the League of German Maidens. That became compulsory in 1936 and all other youth organisations were banned.
With an "explain" question, you usually need to write two paragraphs on two different factors/reasons WHY. With this question - explain why education of young people was important to the Nazi party - you'll need to select two different reasons why and expand on them. You've given three statements, but only one "reason why" which is that it was a form of indoctrinating young people. Can you think of another reason why? If not, writing two paragraphs on why they felt they needed to indoctrinate young people would suffice as a part b answer.

For example, I would structure it like this:
Education was an important part of the totalitarian regime in Nazi Germany for several reasons. Young people were targetted specifically and indoctrinated due to the fact that they were perceived to be more impressionable than adults, and therefore by educating the young people to hate groups of people such as the Jews, the Nazis could establish a strong support base from the youth population of Germany. The indoctrination took many forms: girls were taught domestic tasks such as cooking and cleaning, whereas boys took part in rigorous lessons in physical education. This conditioned girls into being subservient to men, something which the Nazis encouraged in their ideology, whilst it taught the boys to be competitive and militant. This meant that the young people of Germany were taking on the roles the Nazi party saw as right, and roles which would ultimately benefit Nazism as a plethora of soldiers would help the regime survive and would give the country a loyal military in wartime situations. This therefore shows that education was important as the differing focuses of education in terms of gender helped the Nazis shape the upcoming generation to meet their aims.

However, education was also important to the Nazi party as it allowed Hitler to control the information given to the young people in order to shift their perceptions of the world. History lessons were warped to show Germany in a triumphant light in order to encourage patriotism in young people, which would therefore make the youth more inclined to become involved in Hitler Youth and other institutions which pledged allegiance to the 'Fatherland'. Also, Hitler and the Nazi party burned books in order to control the information the young people could access, and only allowed textbooks in school to contain facts which supported his political message, such as condemning the evil French for the Treaty of Versailles, whilst not acknowledging Germany's role in WWI. Education was seen as a way of spreading his political message, which is why many of the school tasks were influenced by key ideas such as Eugenics in Biology, and anti-Semitism in Maths and History; pupils were encouraged to calculate the costs saved if all the disabled population were removed from their homes and killed. This clearly demonstrates therefore that education both allowed the youth to be indoctrinated into the roles they would eventually serve in the Nazi-dominated Germany, and was carefully controlled in order to brain wash the youth into following and believing in the Nazi ideology.

I'm aware that isn't perfect, but I hope it demonstrates the way that I've tried to split up 2 factors in order to address the question. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by blue2337
With an "explain" question, you usually need to write two paragraphs on two different factors/reasons WHY. With this question - explain why education of young people was important to the Nazi party - you'll need to select two different reasons why and expand on them. You've given three statements, but only one "reason why" which is that it was a form of indoctrinating young people. Can you think of another reason why? If not, writing two paragraphs on why they felt they needed to indoctrinate young people would suffice as a part b answer.

For example, I would structure it like this:
Education was an important part of the totalitarian regime in Nazi Germany for several reasons. Young people were targetted specifically and indoctrinated due to the fact that they were perceived to be more impressionable than adults, and therefore by educating the young people to hate groups of people such as the Jews, the Nazis could establish a strong support base from the youth population of Germany. The indoctrination took many forms: girls were taught domestic tasks such as cooking and cleaning, whereas boys took part in rigorous lessons in physical education. This conditioned girls into being subservient to men, something which the Nazis encouraged in their ideology, whilst it taught the boys to be competitive and militant. This meant that the young people of Germany were taking on the roles the Nazi party saw as right, and roles which would ultimately benefit Nazism as a plethora of soldiers would help the regime survive and would give the country a loyal military in wartime situations. This therefore shows that education was important as the differing focuses of education in terms of gender helped the Nazis shape the upcoming generation to meet their aims.

However, education was also important to the Nazi party as it allowed Hitler to control the information given to the young people in order to shift their perceptions of the world. History lessons were warped to show Germany in a triumphant light in order to encourage patriotism in young people, which would therefore make the youth more inclined to become involved in Hitler Youth and other institutions which pledged allegiance to the 'Fatherland'. Also, Hitler and the Nazi party burned books in order to control the information the young people could access, and only allowed textbooks in school to contain facts which supported his political message, such as condemning the evil French for the Treaty of Versailles, whilst not acknowledging Germany's role in WWI. Education was seen as a way of spreading his political message, which is why many of the school tasks were influenced by key ideas such as Eugenics in Biology, and anti-Semitism in Maths and History; pupils were encouraged to calculate the costs saved if all the disabled population were removed from their homes and killed. This clearly demonstrates therefore that education both allowed the youth to be indoctrinated into the roles they would eventually serve in the Nazi-dominated Germany, and was carefully controlled in order to brain wash the youth into following and believing in the Nazi ideology.

I'm aware that isn't perfect, but I hope it demonstrates the way that I've tried to split up 2 factors in order to address the question. :smile:

Thanks but this question is worth 6 marks so would i need three points?
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
Thanks but this question is worth 6 marks so would i need three points?

No, you wouldn't, you need 2 points/reasons why with 3 marks worth of explanation for each of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending