The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels???

I'm starting year 12 in September and was wondering should I do 3 or 4 A levels? The subjects I'm taking are:
Psychology
Chemistry
Physics
I also want to take an EPQ along side these subjects. So should I do 3 a levels and an EPQ or 4 a levels?
I can do 4 and an EPQ but would the workload be to much?
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Reply 1
3 A-levels and an EPQ is basically 4. the work load will be hard and unis only require 3 A-Levels so its worth getting a higher grade in the 3 and EPQ than stretching yourself and doing 4. But, going in to year 12 you are doing AS levels. You tend to take 4 in year 1 and drop one as you going in to year 13
Well you could always start with four and drop one if it's too much? Just think, it's easier to drop one than to start another one up later if you realise you should've done four.
Reply 3
Take 3. Do something else with the time. Write a book. You should do 4 ONLY if you care about the epq.
what's the fourth a level you want to take? and it also depends on how naturally intelligent you are
Reply 5
Original post by Samonia
3 A-levels and an EPQ is basically 4. the work load will be hard and unis only require 3 A-Levels so its worth getting a higher grade in the 3 and EPQ than stretching yourself and doing 4. But, going in to year 12 you are doing AS levels. You tend to take 4 in year 1 and drop one as you going in to year 13

Thanks but, maths is the only subject my college do AS levels in (possible 4th subject)
Reply 6
Original post by Mayhem™
what's the fourth a level you want to take? and it also depends on how naturally intelligent you are

The 4th would be maths. I do tend to get good grades (not like 11 A*s but still)
Reply 7
Original post by mrahim
Take 3. Do something else with the time. Write a book. You should do 4 ONLY if you care about the epq.

I would do an EPQ along side the 3 a levels sorry if it didn't make sense
I really wouldn't take four A-Levels plus an EPQ. Believe me, when I was at secondary school I was in the 'gifted and talented' programme, was predicted all As and A*s but then I started A-Levels and I really struggled. Obviously some people can cope and others can't but my main point is that coming out of secondary school, most people underestimate the amount of work for A-Levels.
Universities only ask for three A-Levels (if that's what you're intending to do in the future) and if you come out with AAAA and someone else has AAA that doesn't automatically give you priority over the space, other things will be considered plus you're more likely to get a higher grade in three subjects plus the EPQ rather than four so I'd recommend you only take three A-Levels plus the EPQ.
Reply 9
Original post by nutellalover91
I really wouldn't take four A-Levels plus an EPQ. Believe me, when I was at secondary school I was in the 'gifted and talented' programme, was predicted all As and A*s but then I started A-Levels and I really struggled. Obviously some people can cope and others can't but my main point is that coming out of secondary school, most people underestimate the amount of work for A-Levels.
Universities only ask for three A-Levels (if that's what you're intending to do in the future) and if you come out with AAAA and someone else has AAA that doesn't automatically give you priority over the space, other things will be considered plus you're more likely to get a higher grade in three subjects plus the EPQ rather than four so I'd recommend you only take three A-Levels plus the EPQ.

Thank you, that was really helpful 😊

Quick Reply

Latest