Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acne sufferer

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

guys, I really don't know what to do anymore...I feel as if my whole life has been ruined because of my acne. At first it wasn't so bad but now its getting worse and worse and the sad thing is that no one understands what it really feels like. My acne is one of my biggest insecurities and not only has it affected my confidence, I am stiff scared of going out In public and showing my hideous face. Am only 16 years old and I have nothing to live for. I hate my acne so so much. No words can explain what acne has done to me. I look at everyone around me and they're all blessed with a clear skin and then there's me 'the acne scarred face'. Everytime I look at someone their eyes wander around and take in all my face. I know what they're thinking 'Omg, doesn't she wash her face'. You don't know how many times people have said 'why don't you use....'. I am so sick of tired of it all. Nothing ever works and trust me guys I have tried EVERYTHING. You name it!I cant take it anymore. All I Think about , day and night is my acne. I cant do anything without my acne getting in the way and I have no one, literally no one I can talk to. My friends all have clear skin and they would never understand. My parents really don't give a **** and my siblings are a bunch of self centred ********s who only think about themselves. Am on the verge of losing and I don't know how am going to continue. Am starting college and I fear that my insecurity will get in the way of my studies. If you guys could please give my some advise or even tell me how u got rid of your acne, I would be tremendously pleased.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Many people just don't realise that most of the biological reactions that trigger acne occur beneath the skin, not on the surface, so the cleanliness of your skin has no effect on your acne.

Can I just as whether you have seen your GP for any prescription strength products - this may be antibiotics, gels or creams?

What do you currently use on your skin? What is your typically daily skincare routine?

You've mentioned that you are 16 and so fluctuating hormone levels may have something to do wth it. The sebaceous glands in your skin are particularly sensitive to hormones. It's thought that increased levels of testosterone cause the glands to produce much more sebum than the skin needs.

My advice for you would be something like this:

1. Pre-Cleanser: Do you wear makeup? If so, this is an important oil based product which helps to dissolve makeup or sunscreen. Not necessary step if makeup/sunscreen not worn
    2. Cleanser: Should be pH balanced. Purpose is to remove dirt / debris etc. Helps unblock pores. Must be done 2x daily. Is your skin dry, combination or oily?
    3. Toner: Used to hydrate skin and remove any dirt that remains after cleansing. Toners which cause chemical exfoliation e.g. lactic acid (good for dry skins) or salicylic acid (good for oily/combination skins) helps to unclog pores
    4. Moisturiser: Use one that contains vitamin A as this causes exfoliation, increases cell turnover and unclogs pores. stimulates collagen to be produced therefore reduces scar severity (ensure you also apply sunscreen during the day when using creams which contain vitamin A
    5. Supplements - Omega 3 and 6 fish oil caps help to reduce skin inflammation
    6. Take vitamin C - stimulates collagen production, reduces skin inflammation
    7. Drink plenty of water - skin needs to be well hydrated

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any further assistance or clarification or specific recommendations.. I would be happy to help..

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.