The Student Room Group

So many questions regarding graduate internships.

I have some questions regarding my next step. I'm currently just about to go into my third year of my Psychology degree, so I will be graduating next year. According to my calculations, I'm on track to graduate with about 69%, so a high 2:1.

Ideally, I want to go into counselling in the future, looking after children from areas of deprivation or with mental health issues, or I'd like to go into teaching, especially to those with SEN.

I was a mentor this year for NCS, but finished early due to annoying children, and I lost my temper (once), so I finished early, but my mum says to me that maybe I should look at a different path to teaching if kids are gonna get me down. But I'm hoping once I'm older than them (significantly), I'd command more respect anyway.

Questions about where to go next?
If I take a year out (working, preferably TEFL in South Korea or Japan), will it significantly hinder my chances of getting a decent graduate job?

At what point do I start looking for graduate jobs, and where?

What sort of experience should I look into getting? (I'll be spending 5 weeks working in a psychiatric hospital in Sri Lanka this August, plus my mentoring for a start).

To go into counselling (not teaching so much), is it worth looking into a Masters?

Is it correct of my mother to suggest a different path to teaching based on my experiences?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by pierreboobvier
I have some questions regarding my next step. I'm currently just about to go into my third year of my Psychology degree, so I will be graduating next year. According to my calculations, I'm on track to graduate with about 69%, so a high 2:1.

Ideally, I want to go into counselling in the future, looking after children from areas of deprivation or with mental health issues, or I'd like to go into teaching, especially to those with SEN.

I was a mentor this year for NCS, but finished early due to annoying children, and I lost my temper (once), so I finished early, but my mum says to me that maybe I should look at a different path to teaching if kids are gonna get me down. But I'm hoping once I'm older than them (significantly), I'd command more respect anyway.

Questions about where to go next?
If I take a year out (working, preferably TEFL in South Korea or Japan), will it significantly hinder my chances of getting a decent graduate job?

At what point do I start looking for graduate jobs, and where?

What sort of experience should I look into getting? (I'll be spending 5 weeks working in a psychiatric hospital in Sri Lanka this August, plus my mentoring for a start).

To go into counselling (not teaching so much), is it worth looking into a Masters?

Is it correct of my mother to suggest a different path to teaching based on my experiences?

Thanks. :smile:

I would be inclined to agree with your Mum that teaching probably isn't for you. Teachers don't command respect automatically, they earn it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending