The Student Room Group

IP ADDRESS HACK, answers needed ASAP

So I've been in a recent argument with a few girls and there was a fake account involved and the girls are saying they've got the account tracked to my IP address and the device messages but I swear on my life I haven't made a second account for the argument also the person the account is arguing with I didn't even know they were involved anywayI need to know ASAP as I am apparently in trouble with police and I'm not taking the rat for someone else so I was wondering if the ip has been hacked or has any malicious software attaches?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well what social media platform was this on? and why do they need an ip address just to report you to the police? sounds silly. They can report you alone with just your username. Anyway chances are they're just talking nonsense, just ignore it.
lol Ignore them. That's ridiculous.
Original post by Async
well what social media platform was this on? and why do they need an ip address just to report you to the police? sounds silly. They can report you alone with just your username. Anyway chances are they're just talking nonsense, just ignore it.

Facebook, they said they reported it today to the police and they traced it back to my device yet I haven't made another account but to be in the safe side I'm going to ring 101 tomorrow and ask them about it
Original post by Courts_Rara
Facebook, they said they reported it today to the police and they traced it back to my device yet I haven't made another account but to be in the safe side I'm going to ring 101 tomorrow and ask them about it

Well that's ********. Even if that did happen [which it didn't] you haven't done anything wrong, making another account with a different name isn't inherently illegal... why would 'they' report it to the police?

You need to think logically about this, man, you're been played!
Because they started taking the mick out my hair which is curly and Jamaican my cousins are half cast and Jamaican so they got involved and they're reporting us to the police because they were defending me because I was listening to all the negative things they had to say because I believe I am all that but she started being racist against my cousins so we were going to fight today but she didn't go to school because she was scared we were going to beat her up yet she's the one that wanted the fight in the first place so she's gone to the police acting and playing all victim when the police obviously don't know what her or her cousin has said
So much bull****.

Public IP addresses are visible on the server side i.e to Facebook themselves, not to other users. I highly doubt these morons know what an IP address is.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
So much bull****.

Public IP addresses are visible on the server side i.e to Facebook themselves, not to other users. I highly doubt these morons know what an IP address is.

Yeah I guess but if the police have traced it? I'll give them a ring on 101 when I leave the house
Yeah I guess but if the police have traced it? I'll give them a ring on 101 when I leave the house

If you're that worried, IP changers can change your IP - people used to do it on games when they were IP banned. However, please note that it is mostly illegal to keep it - but masking it is fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's illegal to keep what?
Reply 10
Mate that's BS. There is no way a bunch of girls could've gotten your IP address from a well-secured place like Facebook. Next time they're gonna say they got it from MI5's website.
So I've been in a recent argument with a few girls and there was a fake account involved and the girls are saying they've got the account tracked to my IP address and the device messages but I swear on my life I haven't made a second account for the argument also the person the account is arguing with I didn't even know they were involved anywayI need to know ASAP as I am apparently in trouble with police and I'm not taking the rat for someone else so I was wondering if the ip has been hacked or has any malicious software attaches?

Ignore this massive pile of BS they're telling you. If you were in trouble with the police they wouldn't be the ones telling you.
x

Don't call 101, you're not in trouble. The police would need a warrant to request the IP address from Facebook and a warrant to identity the billpayer from your ISP. Even if they went to this extreme extent, which they won't, none of this proves that you were behind those messages.

The only thing this proves is how much girls are encouraged to pull bait and switch on men, attack them, then go tell on them anyway. :laugh:
Original post by Marshall Taylor
If you're that worried, IP changers can change your IP - people used to do it on games when they were IP banned. However, please note that it is mostly illegal to keep it - but masking it is fine.

I'm on OP's side completely, but both of these things are categorically false. Using a VPN to mask your IP address is perfectly legal, however had OP actually been breaking the law, getting a VPN after he's committed the offence would do literally nothing whatsoever to save him.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I'm on OP's side completely, but both of these things are categorically false. Using a VPN to mask your IP address is perfectly legal, however had OP actually been breaking the law, getting a VPN after he's committed the offence would do literally nothing whatsoever to save him.

I see what you're saying, but after an IP address is masked/changed - does the backlog reset (since his other IP no longer exists)?

That's why I only reply to people I know on facebook.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I see what you're saying, but after an IP address is masked/changed - does the backlog reset (since his other IP no longer exists)?

His ISP is legally obliged to keep a record of the IP addressed used and data linking it back to the bill payer for at least a year and if you use a VPN, you haven't changed your IP address, you connect to a VPN server through your IP and the VPN server connects to websites on your behalf. Of course the police could still issue a warrant to the VPN provider. To even convict OP, they would need hard evidence of wrongdoing to be present on his laptop, these girls can't just throw random accusations and hope something sticks.
Original post by Fadel
Mate that's BS. There is no way a bunch of girls could've gotten your IP address from a well-secured place like Facebook. Next time they're gonna say they got it from MI5's website.

This is on facebook

Spoiler

Never messaging strangers on facebook
Reply 18
Original post by saraxh
This is on facebook

Spoiler

Never messaging strangers on facebook

Facebook disabled Peer to Peer connection. It's now using SSL (Green square next to domain), so you'll end up getting Facebook's IP.
Original post by Fadel
Facebook disabled Peer to Peer connection. It's now using SSL (Green square next to domain), so you'll end up getting Facebook's IP.

I would download Tor but it's slow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending