The Student Room Group

vegans annoy me so much

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marshall Taylor
I'm a chickitarian and that's the best I can do for the animals (only chicken meat)

Is that really a thing?
Reply 21
Original post by SuperHuman98
If I go vegan what difference would it make? I am just 1 person the animal killing would still continue

I'm guessing you also don't vote in referendums or elections because 1 vote isn't going to make a difference?
Original post by Nadile
I'm guessing you also don't vote in referendums or elections because 1 vote isn't going to make a difference?

Im too young to vote atm
Original post by thegreatwhale
Then benefit to going vegan mean an extra slice of bacon or whatever meat for me, please go vegan so i can eat more meat whenever i want

I eat meat but not bacon so technically I am helping you anyway xD
Original post by Twinpeaks
Beef usually but you can get lamb and pork steaks/ chops :smile:

Sometimes what I think isn't helpful is the attitiude that you must be either a full on meat eater, or a complete vegetarian. If people were encouraged to take more of a moderate attitude I think we might see more improvement. You don't have to be a complete vegetarian, but just to say, have meat once a week. I feel like so much more people would be willing to do that, and that would help so much with our issues of over-consumption of meat.

The concept of becoming a vegetarian is too much of a leap for some, and I think that tends to lead people to just ignore the issue or to not think about their meat consumption.

Oh ok thanks.

I completely agree with you. I'm vegetarian most of the time but I do eat meat every few months so I don't know what to call myself.
I was looking forward to a juicy discussion but I misread vegans for vaginas.
I was vegetarian for all of my life, only going vegan in the last few months or so. I feel you so hard with the whole idea of 'convenience', and to add to that, if everyone in your household is cooking a big meaty lasagne, it'll be hard for you to stick to your guns and boil some quinoa. Having said that, once you look into it, you'll discover that, due to growing dietary 'trends' such as gluten free and dairy free, the options for vegans has expanded incredibly from the way it was 5 or so years ago. I'll give you some ideas of the things I eat on a regular basis.

Baked beans on toast - vegan if you make sure the bread is vegan (which is usually is). Pasta with tomato sauce, or special dairy-free pesto - vegan if you check the labels! Sweet potato burgers, bean burgers, chickpea burgers, falafel - all vegan, which taste delicious with some avocado and tomato salsa, in white pita bread (vegan if from Sainsburys). Jacket potato, or baked sweet potato with hummus/guac - all vegan. Dairy-free butter on toast - vegan with the new brand 'Freedom' from Flora. Betty Crocker cake kits are almost always vegan too, so you can switch around the butter for Flora 'butter'/soy milk for milk, and find some substitutes for eggs (flax seeds work if you work out the prep techniques!). Lots of curries are vegan, Wagamamas do vegan dishes if you do your research and swap around some noodles, Pizza Express has a new fully vegan pizza, Pizza Hut has a gluten free base that's vegan, many burger places also sell marked vegan burgers.

Other 'accidentally vegan' products (which I basically live off): Oreos, (some kinds of) Pringles, Skittles/Starbursts (check the label though!), Fox's Party Rings, (some kinds of) Doritos, jelly tots, (some kinds of) dark chocolate, lots of Walkers crisps, Hula Hoops, borbons, chocolate chip hobnobs, (some kinds of) Digestive biscuits, Ritz crackers, peanut butter, Pot Noodle. Let me repeat that: Pot Noodle!

If you want to go vegan, which I would totally recommend (if you couldn't tell), then don't start it off by cutting out every bacon cob from your life because you'll give up after a 3 day streak by the smell of a shepherds' pie. However, if you're all for the vegan cause, which it sounds like you are, why not switch up products in your life for vegan ones; buy some dairy free butter and, now and again, use that on your bacon cob?

If OP or anyone else wants to talk to me about making the transition from meat to veggie, or from veggie to vegan, I'm more than happy to talk recipes, advice and easy convenient ways to eat healthily with little or no fuss!
Original post by george_c00per
leave dat boi alone ok smh

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468880867.000460.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I eat meat but not bacon so technically I am helping you anyway xD

well i was saying bacon since many mentioned it here but personally i hate bacon and can't stand it :/
I tried out vegan eating for like 5 days. The vegan diet has waaaay too much fibre for me. I felt like I was on laxatives for those 5 days. I already struggle to put on weight eating meat and consuming dairy.
If I go vegan what difference would it make? I am just 1 person the animal killing would still continue

Every person who goes vegan saves on average more than 100 animals a year. Its about supply and demand, if you don't support the cruelty and killing then less will be done.
I'm a vegetarian (I've been meaning to go vegan and plan to but right now I'm considerably poor and eat eggs) and I have been for my whole life so I can't speak for those who've made a switch, but I do know those who have - friends and family for example.

Everyone struggles to motivate themselves. It's all well and good to say, "I'll make the switch" but people struggle to actually start, start out wrong or let it die out within a few weeks. Going off experience from other things I've struggled to motivate myself with, it's all about turning that sudden burst of inspiration - that sudden, "I can change my diet and better myself once and for all!" - into an actual thing.

It's not just meat and then no meat. It's all baby steps. Very luckily, we live in a time where many meat substitutes are available. No, not all of them taste nice. But, dude, have you tried Linda McCartney sausages? They're insane. It's all about finding which meat substitute is for you.

Firstly, eat meat less. Do you tend to have meat with every meal? Make it every lunch time for the first week if you eat lots of meat. For the next week, just make it every other day. Then on the next week or two, make it every weekend. The next week, start trying substitutes. If this is too fast, steady yourself. Let yourself adapt to the change in your diet. Your body won't explode or anything. Try cutting out red meats and fish etc before fully stopping. When you're craving meat, try substitutes. Like I said - there will be something you like.

I gave up chocolate for a year (just to try it) and it sucked the first couple of months. It really did. But I did it. I'm a chocolate maniac. But all it takes is self strength. Look at yourself. How privileged you are to have access to such an incredibly vast amount of food. Who cares if there isn't meat in your diet? Look at everything else there is to eat!

And you should notice some health differences. Perhaps you'll lose weight or just feel better physically. Ignore all this protein rubbish - your body won't die from a lack of protein because there won't be a lack! There's plenty of other high-in-protein sources of food.

Not eating meat will make you feel better physically and 'spiritually' and help the environment. And yes - although everyone hates thinking about it! - there's the morality side. Since you're considering veganism I'm presuming you're fond of animals and animal rights. Although animals still face many issues and injustices, not supporting the meat industry is probably one of the most impactful things you can do.

What difference will it make? It's true - the meat industry will never die. Because people are lazy, in truth. People lack motivation and information. I salute you for recognising your struggles and asking for help! Most people enjoy being ignorant to the suffering of animals or try and pretend there's no suffering at all, but there is. You are making a difference. You're saying, no, I don't agree with the torture and slaughter of animals and will not give money to this barbaric industry.

I've never tasted it, but I'm sure meat tastes good. But is the taste of meat worth the lives of innocent animals? Is your own temporary pleasure a reason to torture and slaughter lambs, pigs, cows, chickens, fish, etc etc?

Good luck with your journey.
I dont understand why ppl think its hard and not convenient to give up meat, going vegan I suppose can be sorta difficult but giving up meat is so easy. There are multiple brands that do meat replacements that are cheaper than meat anyways and have tons of protein. The choice for me was eat an unhealthy meat based meal which supports cruelty and is ruining the planet or not support the murder of an innocent being and help the planet, the choice was easy for me, been vegetarian for 6 years.
Reply 33
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok thanks. Do you eat all meats?

My parents are Hindu so I've never eaten beef before.

Yes all meats. I've tried all sorts, not afraid to try new things either.
I've been a vegan for a few months now and it honestly isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be (including me at first), especially being someone who used to get a chicken salad tesco meal deal all day every day.

I'd recommend 'transitioning' rather than waking up and not eating any of the stuff you were raised on. For example, find a replacement for meat (preference, taste and nutrition wise) one week, and then for dairy the next and then for eggs after that.

I'd also recommend watching loads of videos and documentaries of animals being abused (Farm to Fridge is nice, short, shocking and on YouTube) - sounds harsh I know, but it is the reality and people need to open up their eyes and see the abuse and how inhumanely US (and I'm saying us because every single time you enjoyed a tesco chicken salad meal deal or that block of cheddar cheese, you supported and perpetuated the abuse) humans have treated other living, sentient beings. Even though I initially didn't really go vegan for the animals, seeing the truth really helped me feel stronger about what I was doing.

I initially went vegan for my health and the environment, I'm a really health-conscious person and your body is your temple, amirite? The idea of having corpses and pus really began to cringe me out after discovering the truth. Animals (at least the animals we eat) get their nutrients from plants - why not cut the middle-man out (the animals) and just go straight to the plants? Anyway, the meat, dairy and egg industry contribute to many health problems and also to climate change. 51%+ of global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture - peta.org, and don't forget the tons of water and food required to feed the animals to fatten 'em up - actually, we know for sure that world hunger wouldn't be a thing if we all went vegan, all the agriculture land would be used to produce crops to feed the billions who have a worse diet than the animals we fatten up.

Anyway, I've been able to get all my micronutrients without at all taking any supplements. My skin is perfectly clear, my health is at it's zenith and I have never felt better in my life. I would definitely recommend it, if not for the animals, but for yourselves and for the environment.

Whilst transitioning (or not) to veganism, I'd recommend watching: Cowspiracy, Knives Over Forks, The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear - Gary Yourofsky and Farm to Fridge, among many others.

I'd also recommend checking out the many amazing YouTube channels who are dedicated to helping people understand how our actions are contributing to the needless suffering of many animals and how veganism is a way of saying NO. Really giving power to the people and distancing yourself from the horrors of the meat, dairy and egg industry. It's funny actually, I have a vegetarian friend who absolutely rejects the idea that dairy and eggs do any harm, but they're as bad as they come. Cows only lactate after giving birth (after 9 months), just like humans. Their calves are stolen from them (and are killed or kept depending if they're male or female) and are milked. This cycle is repeated until they die.

YouTube channels:
Bite Size Vegan
Mic. the Vegan
Freelee the Banana Girl (I personally like her because she's so *****y and doesn't sugarcoat anything)
Jon Venus
Mango Island Mamma (her vegan since birth kids are so darn cute)

I'm sure there are many great ones out there but these are mainly the ones I enjoy to watch.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, this is super important and if it encourages even just one person to do more research and become aware of what they're putting into their bodies, this post was definitely worth it. I hope you guys all the best, it's also worth remembering there are many vegan alternatives to everything and most of the time they're not disgusting as everyone suggests.
Original post by UWS
Steak is usually beef but it can be other meats too

have you ever tried kangaroo stake?*

You could say that about anything. If everyone had of said 'there is no use in me supporting black rights - I wont make a difference', no change would have been made, but look how far it has come because people came together and made a difference. In addition, in going vegan, you can influence so many people, even if just by example, you don't have to be preachy! You can save hundreds of animals a year by going vegan as well as 1100 gallons of water a day! We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Reply 37
You've got further than most in recognising what your problem with vegans is. I think a lot of folk who like to have a go at vegans are on the defensive but can't admit it to themselves.

I'm of the opinion something is better than nothing- being vegan isn't the be all and end of all but I think everyone should try to live by their principles. Since your principles seem to be saying so then I think you should try to cut down. Maybe you'll end up vegan, maybe you won't but mostly that's a question for another day. You'll probably feel better about it if you do something and in the process you'll eventually find the place that works for you.
Original post by niv1234
I don't think I've ever had steak. Is that beef or pork?

I've had steak of both.
Original post by lowkeypunk
mostly because they're right. I eat meat because I like the taste and it's convenient. going vegan would be great because animals suffering is horrible but...it's hard.

it's kind of like doublethink in 1984; when I really think about it I know I'm doing the wrong thing, so I just ignore the fact that animals have to die so I can have a tasty bacon sandwich. and I guess that's why vegans annoy me so much, because they're just reminding me that I'm making a bad choice just so I don't have to slightly inconvenience myself.

even though I'm thinking about it a lot, and I'm cutting down my meat intake and telling my vegan friends I'll seriously consider it, I know in my heart of hearts I'll never go vegan or even veggie...

Just getting down your meat/ dairy intake a little bit makes a difference though! And by the sounds of it you're eating mindfully - you know where the meat comes from.

People ask me all the time if I miss meat and dairy, "how do I cope when someone eats it in front of me?" etc.

We don't mean to be annoying, some of us are doing this for the animals, some of us are doing this for our bodies. If you ever want advice there are loads of us on TSR who have made the transition. I've been vegan for 18 months. Before that I ate meat and a lot of cheese so I totally understand where you're coming from.

I feel totally fulfilled by my diet and have more energy. I've not said that to annoy you, just to share that this way of eating is ok and it is possible, even when you live with non-vegans as I do.

Quick Reply

Latest