The Student Room Group

Does anyone else experience this with IBS?

So I'm on medication for it (anti-spasmodics) and they worked at the start but not so much, so I'm looking for advice until I can see my doctor again (which is about a months wait)

I get all the usual symptoms that IBS entails, but recently I've been feeling nauseous quite a bit. I get hungry but the thought of food makes me sick and eating makes me sick, sometimes to the point where I bring all the food back up. It's tiring me out and I hate being nauseous. I don't get to eat much before I feel sick and get reflux. I've looked online but it doesn't seem to be a symptom of IBS.
Pregnancy is not a possible cause for definite.

Does anyone else experience this? I've tried cutting certain foods out but nothing is easing it. I've tried peppermint oil and drinking more water and getting the correct fibre intake.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm on medication for it (anti-spasmodics) and they worked at the start but not so much, so I'm looking for advice until I can see my doctor again (which is about a months wait)

I get all the usual symptoms that IBS entails, but recently I've been feeling nauseous quite a bit. I get hungry but the thought of food makes me sick and eating makes me sick, sometimes to the point where I bring all the food back up. It's tiring me out and I hate being nauseous. I don't get to eat much before I feel sick and get reflux. I've looked online but it doesn't seem to be a symptom of IBS.
Pregnancy is not a possible cause for definite.

Does anyone else experience this? I've tried cutting certain foods out but nothing is easing it. I've tried peppermint oil and drinking more water and getting the correct fibre intake.

Is it listed as a side effect of the meds? I find that some meds will make me feel ill. It could also be that you are generally unwell in some other way (cold or flu or something) if it hasn't been too long.
btw ginger is mean to help if you feel nauseous and peppermint helps with IBS pain.

I'd check with a pharmacist or NHS 111 since you're sometimes throwing up and it's causing you trouble eating. Just not something you want to be puttig up with for a month. :smile:
Reply 2
I don't have IBS but I'm on mebeverine for another illness, idk if that's what you've been prescribed. I get fairly bad nausea but it could be one of my other medications or illness.

If it gets bad enough there are some anti-nausea medications. Tonic water, ginger, mint and ginger/lemon tea are really good quick fixes. For me tonic water works best but tastes the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have IBS and although feeling sick can be a symptom I suffer from - usually when having cramps - I have never been sick.

Quick Reply

Latest