The Student Room Group

Freshers Waiting Room

Scroll to see replies

Hello, is anyone studying food health nutrition in Abertay :smile: ? I'm pretty scared to start my uni life as I don't know how things work !! It's totally different from high school :redface:
good luck to all my buds on here going off to uni :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Not really that fussed about Freshers week as I'm not into clubbing and don't drink since alcohol = :dumbells: don't
go together aswell as religious reasons.

+ Only societies that I know from the top of my head I'll be joining is my subject society I.e Physics society, join my university gym and perhaps Muay Thai university club.

It might not sound a lot but I'm being realistic in what I'll be able to juggle once university starts and what I can adhere to throughout my degree unlike people joining random hippy clubs for freebies & spam emails. :lol:

Why dont you join your Isoc? they hold many events for muslims?? it will allow you to do something during freshers and a further chance to make more friends :smile:
Original post by MathSci1999
Why dont you join your Isoc? they hold many events for muslims?? it will allow you to do something during freshers and a further chance to make more friends :smile:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that society but even with events it comes down to
my own time management since I priortise some things over others. :dontknow:
I actually don't even know the format of Fresher's week. So they have a bunch of events and their respect dates listed and you just attend whenever? Is class registration also in that week??
Reply 25
Original post by Actually_Felix
I actually don't even know the format of Fresher's week. So they have a bunch of events and their respect dates listed and you just attend whenever? Is class registration also in that week??

It depends on specific unis.
For mine, enrolment is online.
The events are mostly just listed out and you come to any you want or some need you to register beforehand. There are also wristbands you can get.
The student union fresher's events go from a week before the course starts, same date as people can move into halls. And last until classes start. While other fresher's events happen during the first 2 weeks of lessons
Thanks for this thread, i'm at the University of West London and im also an international student so all this information helps.
i have been given a general idea but this thread is filling the gaps. I mean i cant wait for school but i have two fresher events im planning on attending.

The Big Freshers IceBreaker 2016 http://fatso.ma/moq

Babylon Day Party London Freshers Carnival http://fatso.ma/mI5

i have a question though as it relates to staying on campus relating to kitchen items
should i order them online or should i buy when i get there? and like should i get a full pot set or what?
Reply 27
Any tips for someone who can't drink but doesn't want to feel left out? I'm not opposed to drinking, just cannot because of medical issues.
Original post by Brad387
Any tips for someone who can't drink but doesn't want to feel left out? I'm not opposed to drinking, just cannot because of medical issues.

This probably isn't what you are looking for but could you please tell me how it went when fresher's is over. I'm in similar situation and its bugging me. ( I just don't drink. )
The universal rule of Freshers is:

At some point, you will dress in a toga.
Reply 30
Original post by Brad387

It depends on what you want to do! You don't have to drink even at events where there is alcohol, and there'll also be non alcoholic events. You can go clubbing without drinking if you want to, or do something different if you'd rather be with other non drinkers - I've never had any problems with not drinking at uni so far.

Quick Reply

Latest