The Student Room Group

Health worries (just finished second year of medical school)

Hi all, not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I just wanted a bit of advice. I'll be starting my third year of medical school pretty soon, so far I've loved it.

I've been sort of non-specifically unwell for a while now, but recently it's got worse and LFTs revealed hepatitis. All infectious causes etc have been ruled out, and just waiting for a few more blood results to come back in. Essentially my GP has said it could be the SSRI I was taking, which I came off last week to see if that was what was causing the problem, or it could be autoimmune hepatitis. It's starting to look more like AIH, and I'm aware that that'll require immunosuppressants for a long time to get it under control. I suppose my real question is, does anyone know of any doctors/clinical students/other healthcare professionals who have faced a similar situation? Of course if I get a confirmed AIH diagnosis I'll talk to the medical school and my GP about the situation, but I think at the moment I'm just a bit stressed out at the potential effects on my future career. I suffer from depression and my medical school have been very supportive and helpful so I have to reason to think they'd be anything other than helpful if I did receive and AIH diagnosis, I think really I'm just worried about whether this could possibly limit my career options! Of course I know everyone is different and it'll depend on how well I respond to treatment et cetera, just a bit of general advice/anecdotes would be fab :smile:

Thanks all!
Reply 1
I'm not sure what sort of 'similar situation' you're looking for. Obviously many doctors and medical students have been unwell for varying lengths of time and for varying reasons, and generally it is not a problem. If it will affect your career will really depend on how unwell you become and how much time off you need to take, which is something that is impossible to say right now. Unless you are away for years and years though, or become chronically unwell, it's likely that you will be able to return to your studies and career at just where you left off. Maybe it will take you a little longer to get where you want to go, but life's a journey not a race

It's natural to be worried right now, with an uncertain diagnosis and prognosis. I wish I could reassure you on that front but obviously I know nothing about your individual medical situation. Just trust that your medical school will be understanding - which they will be because this is not your fault and could happen to anyone, and focus on being positive and getting better.

I hope someone will be able to relate a personal experience that you may find more reassuring than my words. Good luck and I hope you get better soon
One of my current reg's underwent a heart-lung transplant 2 years ago and remains on immunomodulation, but is working full time including all the nights etc.

I know doctors with MS, type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis.

It's all gong to depend on the individual, but it can be done.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it :smile: Logically I know it will all depend on my individual condition, I think I'm just stressing out because I still don't have a definitive diagnosis so I can't yet start treatment or plan anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending