The Student Room Group

3 GCSE exams in maths 2017.Next year

GCSE Paper 1: Thursday 25th May 2017 (AM)
GCSE Paper 2: Thursday 8th June 2017 (AM)
GCSE Paper 3: Tuesday 13th June 2017 (AM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I have just taken the Edexcel Higher GCSE Maths papers this year . so i only done 2 papers ( non cal and cal) ,i was just wondering what is in the papers for next year? like 2 calculator paper or non ect?
Reply 2
Original post by Chiara27
Hey I have just taken the Edexcel Higher GCSE Maths papers this year . so i only done 2 papers ( non cal and cal) ,i was just wondering what is in the papers for next year? like 2 calculator paper or non ect?

Oh, I don't know about that.but I saw this on maths genie
Reply 3
Original post by anojan
Oh, I don't know about that.but I saw this on maths genie

no problem :smile: . i will ask my cousin when she comes to visit

Paper 1-non calculator, paper 2&3- calculator. HTH :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14

Thanks
Original post by anojan
Thanks

np:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14

Thank you and thank god I did the exam this year haha :smile:
Thank you and thank god I did the exam this year haha :smile:

I wish had done the exam this year :cry: I could have got an A* this year easily, but an 8/9 next year is going to be a big challenge. It's a shame our school stopped early maths entries this year :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Lemur14
I wish had done the exam this year :cry: I could have got an A* this year easily, but an 8/9 next year is going to be a big challenge. It's a shame our school stopped early maths entries this year :frown:

At least getting an 8/9 in Mathematics is easier than the new English exam and I strive to achieve that. I would've done my GCSEs in Maths early if my Maths was up to stretch and that JAM (my original Maths teacher) wasn't ill. The problem with no early entries is extremely annoying, it should have never been stopped as those who have the capability of being entered to sit the exam early should be allowed to without the Govt moaning about utter rubbish, mainly Gove and Morgan who are now gone. Hopefully Greening is a better Education Secretary.
Original post by JTran38
At least getting an 8/9 in Mathematics is easier than the new English exam and I strive to achieve that. I would've done my GCSEs in Maths early if my Maths was up to stretch and that JAM (my original Maths teacher) wasn't ill. The problem with no early entries is extremely annoying, it should have never been stopped as those who have the capability of being entered to sit the exam early should be allowed to without the Govt moaning about utter rubbish, mainly Gove and Morgan who are now gone. Hopefully Greening is a better Education Secretary.

I think marks wise you'll actually find that the maths grade boundaries are at about 93-95% for a 9, whereas the English is likely to be lower at currently estimated 85%. So on the face of it, the English looks easier, though I do understand what you mean about the maths being easier, as it's less ambigious what you have to put in maths etc.
Original post by Lemur14

its a good thing that they made it harder, now you can actually work hard and improve
Original post by JTran38

In what is the english going to be much harder than maths?. The only way I see it being hard is the grade boundaries and how lenient the examiners are.

Original post by Lemur14
I think marks wise you'll actually find that the maths grade boundaries are at about 93-95% for a 9, whereas the English is likely to be lower at currently estimated 85%. So on the face of it, the English looks easier, though I do understand what you mean about the maths being easier, as it's less ambigious what you have to put in maths etc.

85%? No I don't think that it will be that low. My teachers way saying to get a 9 you need at least 95%.
Reply 13
Original post by Lemur14

Well you're right but I guess it look at things in a more logical manner than Maths is technically easy. The point you've made on the English grade boundaries predicted to be lowered is very encouraging as it's a very difficult subject IMO in terms of having to remember different texts etc.
Original post by theBranicAc
its a good thing that they made it harder, now you can actually work hard and improve

It's a good thing it's getting harder in general just as most other students I'd rather I had the easier option!
Reply 15
In what is the english going to be much harder than maths?. The only way I see it being hard is the grade boundaries and how lenient the examiners are.

85%? No I don't think that it will be that low. My teachers way saying to get a 9 you need at least 95%.

Referring to Maths, if you look at the whole thing logically it's much more easier than English despite the changes brought in by Gove. In terms of grade boundaries being lowered we'll see what happens in the 2017 exams and that 85% is a prediction from somewhere so don't quote @Lemur14 on that.
Original post by JTran38
Well you're right but I guess it look at things in a more logical manner than Maths is technically easy. The point you've made on the English grade boundaries predicted to be lowered is very encouraging as it's a very difficult subject IMO in terms of having to remember different texts etc.

For english you also have to remember all the quotes for aic, mr hyde and dr jekyll and etc right?

this is the only reason it is hard, by forcing us to remember quotes.

i also think remembering quotes is stupid, it doesn't help to test how well your english skills are
Reply 17
For english you also have to remember all the quotes for aic, mr hyde and dr jekyll and etc right?

this is the only reason it is hard, by forcing us to remember quotes.

i also think remembering quotes is stupid, it doesn't help to test how well your english skills are

I hate the idea of making it a close book, I don't see any problem with it being opened book and remembering quotes isn't an easy task. - Pure stupidity.

95%? I really doubt that. Last year, it was 57/80, just over 71%, for an A*. That encompasses, or should encompass, the top 5%, meaning that is likely a dramatic overestimate. 76/80, 95%, will be almost unachievable, for pretty much everyone, even top of the top students, considering how harshly English is marked. My estimate for Maths would probably be like 85-90%, but I doubt it'd go much higher than the low 90s.
Original post by _gcx
95%? I really doubt that. Last year, it was 57/80, just over 71%, for an A*. That encompasses, or should encompass, the top 5%, meaning that is likely a dramatic overestimate. 76/80, 95%, will be almost unachievable, for pretty much everyone, even top of the top students, considering how harshly English is marked. My estimate for Maths would probably be like 85-90%, but I doubt it'd go much higher than the low 90s.

Its the same for maths- which can be achievable. However the new gcse are harder so you would expect high grade boundarys, unless aqa decide to lower it if loads of people do bad.

Quick Reply

Latest