Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenance Loan Calculation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I'm not due to go to university until Sept. 2017 and as such I won't be apply for student finance for a while yet, but I just have a small question.

    I know that maintenance loan is calculated based upon household income - before I was fairly certain I would get the maximum loan as I don't believe that my mum makes /that/ much money, but a few weeks ago her boyfriend moved in with us and now of course that means 2 sets of incomes.

    Is he counted as part of our 'household income' (I assume yes but I want the answer to be no...) because I'm quite concerned for the future in case I don't get a high enough maintenance loan, because I know that neither my mum or her bf will give me money towards university.

    Thanks for any help.

    His income will be counted, yes. It's based on who you live with.
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    His income will be counted, yes. It's based on who you live with.
    Eughhhhhhh for God sake.

    So is there realistically nothing I can do? Because beforehand I was probably going to be eligible for the maximum loan amount and now I won't be; depending on how much he actually earns I really don't wanna be screwed.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 19, 2016
I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.