The Student Room Group

Confused - independent student and funding for 2017

Hi

To keep it short. I am leaving my full time employment to do an access course in September.

From that, I hope to attend university next year for my first undergrad degree,

I am trying to work out about funding.

I don't get funding for the access but have small savings to live off during this.

I know the funding has changed into one maintenance loan now for Uni/

I have read the forms and guidance and realised that, at 23 but having worked over 3 years, I will be classed as an independent student.

As I will be leaving my work and doing my UNI degree full time from next Sept, my income will be 0? Does this mean as an independent student studying full time I automatically get the full loan?

On the other hand, I have been on 13-18k per annum salary over the last few years but have no savings etc and I know they ask for your income.

If the above is not correct (as in I will get full loan), how on earth will I afford uni + rent etc? Surely because I had quite a low paying job for a few years prior that would not effect my amount of loan eligibility for my first course?

Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long. Just want it clarifying before I quit my job!!

p.s. My "parents" income is also very low, so i originally thought I was safe before I realised I would be classed as an independent student!
Original post by Platinum213
Hi

To keep it short. I am leaving my full time employment to do an access course in September.

From that, I hope to attend university next year for my first undergrad degree,

I am trying to work out about funding.

I don't get funding for the access but have small savings to live off during this.

I know the funding has changed into one maintenance loan now for Uni/

I have read the forms and guidance and realised that, at 23 but having worked over 3 years, I will be classed as an independent student.

As I will be leaving my work and doing my UNI degree full time from next Sept, my income will be 0? Does this mean as an independent student studying full time I automatically get the full loan?

On the other hand, I have been on 13-18k per annum salary over the last few years but have no savings etc and I know they ask for your income.

If the above is not correct (as in I will get full loan), how on earth will I afford uni + rent etc? Surely because I had quite a low paying job for a few years prior that would not effect my amount of loan eligibility for my first course?

Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long. Just want it clarifying before I quit my job!!

p.s. My "parents" income is also very low, so i originally thought I was safe before I realised I would be classed as an independent student!

The income of the student is never included - only unearned income (from trust funds and rental investments and the like) is counted.

If you're classed as independent then only your (unearned) income in 2017/18 and the income of your partner (if you have one) for the 2015/16 tax year would be assessed.
Original post by PQ
The income of the student is never included - only unearned income (from trust funds and rental investments and the like) is counted.

If you're classed as independent then only your (unearned) income in 2017/18 and the income of your partner (if you have one) for the 2015/16 tax year would be assessed.

Excellent, thank you for clarifying.

No Partner and no unearned income so all looks good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending