Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Studying Mechanical Engineering in Italian Alps.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi everyone

I have been considering this for a while now, but I just like to know anyone's opinions on this, either the engineering course itself or studying abroad generally.

The degree is at a small uni in Bolzano, which is in south tyrol, where german and italian is spoken. One of the main characteristics of the uni is its international orientation: the degree is taught ⅓ english, ⅓ german and ⅓ italian; I did german a level, and you only have to know 2 of the languages to do the degree (you learn the other during the 3 years)

I like the idea because it is a beautiful region with loads of lakes and mountains so you can ski at the weekends etc. Also it has the highest quality of life in italy and it's cheap - just €290 a month for accomodation. There is also the possibility of grants up to €5800 a year, + refunds on tuition fees (just ~ €1300 per year)

I'm not sure what I want to do as a career, but i did maths, physics and chemistry as my other a-levels so mechanical engineering seems a good option as something with good job prospects.

If anyone has any experience of studying abroad I'd love to know, or just what to look for in a mech. engineering degree. I think the city is home to one of europe's biggest research centres, and I think there are collaborations.

If anyone can be bothered to read the study manifesto, I have linked it (https://next.unibz.it/assets/Documen...ing-L-9-en.pdf) - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thany you!!!!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.