The Student Room Group

Studying Mechanical Engineering in Italian Alps

Hi everyoneI have been considering this for a while now, but I just like to know anyone's opinions on this, either the engineering course itself or studying abroad generally.The degree is at a small uni in Bolzano, which is in south tyrol, where german and italian is spoken. One of the main characteristics of the uni is its international orientation: the degree is taught english, german and italian; I did german a level, and you only have to know 2 of the languages to do the degree (you learn the other during the 3 years)I like the idea because it is a beautiful region with loads of lakes and mountains so you can ski at the weekends etc. Also it has the highest quality of life in italy and it's cheap - just €290 a month for accomodation. There is also the possibility of grants up to €5800 a year, + refunds on tuition fees (just ~ €1300 per year)I'm not sure what I want to do as a career, but i did maths, physics and chemistry as my other a-levels so mechanical engineering seems a good option as something with good job prospects.If anyone has any experience of studying abroad I'd love to know, or just what to look for in a mech. engineering degree. I think the city is home to one of europe's biggest research centres, and I think there are collaborations.If anyone can be bothered to read the study manifesto, I have linked it (https://next.unibz.it/assets/Documents/Study-Manifestos/Manifest-2016-Bachelor-Industrial-mechanical-engineering-L-9-en.pdf) - I'd love to hear your thoughts.Thany you!!!!!
You should probably be further on in your application process - it looks like the application deadline is Thursday. Where do you want to work afterwards? It doesn't look like the degree is accredited by any of the British engineering institutions, which may or may not be important to you.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply - I am not applying for sep 16 - I am doing a gap year first. What is the significance of being accredited by a British engineering institution? I imagine it is because it's not in the UK, that it doesn't have it from the UK.
Original post by Joeboyshop
Thanks for your reply - I am not applying for sep 16 - I am doing a gap year first. What is the significance of being accredited by a British engineering institution? I imagine it is because it's not in the UK, that it doesn't have it from the UK.

Accreditation is important if you want to go for Chartered Engineer status at some point - things are much easier if your degree is already accredited. I'm not saying it wouldn't be, I haven't checked it properly.

I love the idea of studying abroad and the location is fantastic. Just be brutally honest with yourself how easy it would be learning another language on top of the actual course content.
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice, I have looked at other engineering degrees in Germany, and although they look great, not being fluent has held me back; however from what I can tell, learning new languages is something the uni is actively advertising as a benefit - ie the majority of students won't be fluent in all three languages so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a barrier to the actual content.

I'm not to worried about the accreditation, as I am not certain exactly what I want to do, and also I may do a masters in which case that would be the most important thing imo
Reply 5
Original post by Joeboyshop
Hi everyoneI have been considering this for a while now, but I just like to know anyone's opinions on this, either the engineering course itself or studying abroad generally.The degree is at a small uni in Bolzano,

Original post by Duncan2012
You should probably be further on in your application process - it looks like the application deadline is Thursday. Where do you want to work afterwards? It doesn't look like the degree is accredited by any of the British engineering institutions, which may or may not be important to you.

It doesn't appear to accredited by European bodies either

http://eurace.enaee.eu/

It would be worth checking directly with the university otherwise it may cause problems later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
It doesn't appear to accredited by European bodies either

http://eurace.enaee.eu/

It would be worth checking directly with the university otherwise it may cause problems later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I have sent them an email. On that website only 2 universities in the whole of Italy were listed, so I wonder whether accreditation has the same significance there as it does here.

This is definitely something for me to do some more research into, but I don't want it to be the deciding factor.

Thanks for both your help

Quick Reply

Latest