The Student Room Group

year abroad vs year in industry

what dp you think is better to do a year abroad or year in industry and why what benefits and disadvantages does each have

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a year in industry you'll get experience and possibly paid. With a year abroad you may be placed at the uni, may have to do coursework etc at that uni, may not get paid and may have to learn the language. Different unis will do it differently so check with the uni you're at.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
what dp you think is better to do a year abroad or year in industry and why what benefits and disadvantages does each have

Posted from TSR Mobile

A year in industry will give you actual engineering experience and most likely a salary between £14,000 to £20,000 for your time.

A year abroad you get to experience a new university and different culture.

A year in industry is likely to be done in between the later years of your degree, and hence adds a year to its length, whereas a year abroad will likely be done in place of a year at the institution you enrolled at, and who will be awarding your degree.
ok I see si I think a year of industry would be morr beneificail even having to learn laguage is not a problem for me but still seems better to do industry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Year abroad. You have plenty of time to work and plenty of time during the summers to intern. You don't, however, have as much time to stretch yourself a
outside of your comfort zone and pick up a substantial life experience that a year abroad would afford you with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Both are very different, and people have already covered the main points. Everything is university dependent, it may be possible to do both, or just one of them.

A year in industry can prepare you for a graduate job, it can give you much needed experience and in some cases you can be paid quite reasonably. However, chances are this won't count anything towards your degree, so it's not really university related.

A year abroad, on the other hand, is basically taking a year at your university to somewhere else. I studied abroad to California in my 3rd year, and because of that year, I'm actually back for 6 months doing a placement. If you can see yourself studying or living somewhere else, studying abroad is perfect for that. I cannot recommend it more highly and it's an experience you won't get after university.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending