The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Vs Essex

hi guys,

I have unconditional offers for soas and essex and I am struggling to make my final decision - any input would be good - it's or a senior status law degree

cheers
I'd recommend Essex, but that's because I really did not like reading law at SOAS. There are a myriad of problems with the place. Admin is bad. The school's brand name is poor and limits employment outcomes. The faculty is hostile to students. Morale is low. The wankjob teaching property. All very bad things in my opinion. I've provided in-dept reviews of the place (Well, just for the law school) on other threads here, so please refer to them if you're interested in that sort of info
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
SOAS has a better reputation that Essex imo and a lot of people I've met don't enjoy Essex overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by SOASllbsurvivor
I'd recommend Essex, but that's because I really did not like reading law at SOAS. There are a myriad of problems with the place. Admin is bad. The school's brand name is poor and limits employment outcomes. The faculty is hostile to students. Morale is low. The wankjob teaching property. All very bad things in my opinion. I've provided in-dept reviews of the place (Well, just for the law school) on other threads here, so please refer to them if you're interested in that sort of info

Was SOAS that bad?
Original post by xxvine
Was SOAS that bad?

Yeah, pretty terrible actually. Might even say it was the biggest mistake of my life professionally speaking.
Reply 5
Original post by SOASllbsurvivor
Yeah, pretty terrible actually. Might even say it was the biggest mistake of my life professionally speaking.

Why?
Was looking to go there through adjustment
I have seen your posts but what didn't you like? The culture...the people..the teaching?
Reply 6
Warning, take ANY advice from this SOASllbsurvivor with a grain of big salt...

This person is a racist, as evidenced by his post on another topic about SOAS, is "SOAS any good"

This demon on that post wrote:
If you enjoy SOAS, good for you. I didn't and I know very few classmates who did, so I have no love for that place. The Earth may swallow it whole and never give it back up again for all I care. Especially the ****** who became the head of the law school."

Now, of course, the six letter word, referring to, at that time, the dean of the law
school, who was Black, is the "N" word, so take care in taking any opinion from
such a looney-tunes type character...obviously a racist would not get on well
with the SOAS crowd, if you read his other postings-he resents being taught by
non-whites, makes several other racially loaded comments, & in general seems
to be a miserable person wallowing in misery for his failure 9 years later to do
anything with his university degree, you know-the kind of person who sits in
their little room in the dark blaming others for their own failures. So take any
advice, from a rodent such as this very lightly if you want an unbiased
(no offense to rodents) viewpoint. Full disclosure, I have also been admitted
into SOAS LLM program and am 100% looking forward to attending this 2017
Fall.
By the way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending