The Student Room Group

How do you find out your blood type?

I've just always been curious as to what mine is.
Reply 1
you can order blood test kits online for like £30-£40 https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=order%20a%20blood%20testing%20kit

can't exactly vouch for the legitimacy of any of the websites obviously but there's bound to be some trusted sites like amazon that sell them
Reply 2
alternatively you can probably go to your nearest hospital and have a blood test taken but I imagine you have to make an appointment and such for it and honestly who has the time
basically you have three different test tubes, one with A antibodies, one with B antibodies and one with Rh antibodies
so you mix your blood with each of them
you'll see your blood clump in none or some or all of the test tubes
if it clumps with A then your blood type is A, if it clumps with B then it's B, if it clumps with both it's AB and if it clumps with neither it's O
if it clumps in the Rh tube then it's + otherwise it's -

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Go to your gp or get a test online. You can get ones from less than £10. Just check reviews to make sure it's good. If you don't think you have the nerve to prick yourself then just go to gp
Reply 5
I only found out when I was in hospital when I was 19, until then I didn't know or care about finding out. Maybe its on your medical records and your GP could tell you?
Give blood? Then they send you a little card with your bloody type and some information on it*
You could ask your GP or buy one of the home test kits but they may not be as reliable.
Reply 8
If you donate blood then you receive a letter with your blood group on it, that's how I found it.

I also found out through the blood group website cause if you're O- they give you a special popup saying "ur blood types v useful etc. etc.".
Original post by Inexorably
If you donate blood then you receive a letter with your blood group on it, that's how I found it.

I also found out through the blood group website cause if you're O- they give you a special popup saying "ur blood types v useful etc. etc.".

Yeah O- is the universal blood type. If I found out I was O- I would feel so much guilt. I'd have to donate. I believe I'm A+ myself
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
Yeah O- is the universal blood type. If I found out I was O- I wouls feel so much guilt. I'd have to donate

Try being one of the rare types... It's even worse!

Yeah, O- is universal, but it also means it's the type most likely to get donated.
GPs won't do the blood test for a blood group unless it is clinically indicated and the only time I can think that it is done is in Ante Natal care - . never routinely done otherwise

if you need a blood transfusion at a hospital then always rechecks it and cross matches it at the time.

You can get it if you donate blood - you get sent a card
Original post by LadyBunion
GPs won't do the blood test for a blood group unless it is clinically indicated and the only time I can think that it is done is in Ante Natal care - . never routinely done otherwise

if you need a blood transfusion at a hospital then always rechecks it and cross matches it at the time.

You can get it if you donate blood - you get sent a card

I found out I was A+ when I was a baby. Ffs I hate this phone. Anyway yeah it's worth asking parents if people don't know
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
Yeah O- is the universal blood type. If I found out I was O- I would feel so much guilt. I'd have to donate. I believe I'm A+ myself

Yes I do always feel a bit guilty cause I haven't donated in so long, knowing how valuable my type is :tongue:
i found out my blood group during a practical class at uni hahaha
Original post by PurpleSquid
i found out my blood group during a practical class at uni hahaha

That is how I found out too ! Confirmed later when having sprogs.
Original post by cbreef
I found out I was A+ when I was a baby. Ffs I hate this phone. Anyway yeah it's worth asking parents if people don't know

Don't routinely do it for babies - I happen to know my kids' groups though as they had specific blood group related problems when born
Reply 17
My mom told me a long time ago. My parents' blood types are the same, so mine should be same too.
Reply 18
Original post by DonnaN
My mom told me a long time ago. My parents' blood types are the same, so mine should be same too.

Doesn't always apply. It's likely that it may be the same but it's not guaranteed. I remember reading how males would request a blood test and if the child didn't match their blood type, then it was assumed it was not theirs and their wives cheated. At least before they got more conclusive tests like dna
Reply 19
Original post by Devify
Doesn't always apply. It's likely that it may be the same but it's not guaranteed. I remember reading how males would request a blood test and if the child didn't match their blood type, then it was assumed it was not theirs and their wives cheated. At least before they got more conclusive tests like dna

I know that's possible. Yet didn't need to know it exactly, luckily.
A friend of mine always thought he had one blood type, than turned out he was wrong. It wasn't even same as his parents' and they both have different types :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest