Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

US visa - Research period abroad

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi people,

    Have a quick question over US visas, since I can't seem to find the answer anywhere online. I am about to start a History PhD for a UK university in September and my second year will likely involve primary research being undertaken in the US. How long I stay over there is currently up in the air, but I'm curious to know what type of visa I would have to apply for? The research would be for the benefit of a UK institution, so I assumed that it may not be an educational visa? Any help or guidance would be magnificent.


    I don't think it matters who benefits. If you're going to do stuff for your PhD then you're studying so a study visa makes sense. Your uni, the partner uni and the US visa people should really advise you.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.