The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or Manchester

Hi guys

I had received offer from the university of Edinburgh and the university of Manchester for theoretical physics.

I am now frustrated with which university is best feat for me.

Can anyone give me some suggestions from different aspect such as the lecture quality ,research quality ,campus environment ,accomendation and finance?
Pick the more interesting course from which you'll get the best experience and exposure to what you're interested in. No one on here can tell you which uni is best for you.
Original post by Richardbryant
Hi guys

I had received offer from the university of Edinburgh and the university of Manchester for theoretical physics.

Can anyone give me some suggestions from different aspect such as the lecture quality ,research quality ,campus environment ,accomendation and finance?

I would probably go to Manchester, just because Brian Cox lectures there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi guys

Edinburgh is a great city
I'd say Manchester would be far better (although I'm biased as I study Physics there) due it's long history of major contributions to Physics from the likes of Rutherford, Andre Geim, Konstantin Novoselov and of course Brian Cox.
Hi guys

If you're interested in particle theory then I suggest Edinburgh - their theoretical particle physics group is bigger than Manchester's. Theoretical physics is very broad though so Manchester might have more staff working in other areas of interest.

In terms of course material I would recommend Edinburgh. You cover more maths which is a large advantage in TP.

Source: I study TP at Edinburgh and know quite a few people studying at Manchester and I'm quite familiar with the syllabus.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I would probably go to Manchester, just because Brian Cox lectures there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparantly he's an awful lecturer (heard from multiple people I know studying there). Plus it's only a single 1st year course he lectures.
Original post by JuliusDS92
Apparantly he's an awful lecturer (heard from multiple people I know studying there). Plus it's only a single 1st year course he lectures.
Oh I wasn't really being serious about Brian Cox and I agree he isn't such a great lecturer (He spent several minutes arguing with a student because he said E=mc as apposed to E=mc^2 and eventually realised he made a mistake). He does have a unique and eloquent way of getting ideas across though but definitely wouldn't go there just because of him as opposed to the arguably superior Physics department.
Thank you everyone! You gave me some useful suggestions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending