Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Two children in Higher Education - Funding Advice

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hello there,

    I would like some clarification from SFE on this issue and advice if anyone has had experience with the same issue.

    I am a 2nd year undergrad student and my elder brother has just completed his undergrad degree. My brother will be continuing in higher education to begin studying a masters degree this September

    My SFE funding is based on my mothers income. Whist my brother and I were both undgrad students, my mothers income was classed as 'split' between us. e.g. If my mum earned £30,000 - this was classed as an equivalent income of £15,000 each.

    I want to know if this is still this case for my funding this year. With myself still being an undergrad and my brother now a postgrad.
    I have contacted both the undergrad and postgrad student finance departments and have been given conflicting information.

    Undergrad student finance assured me if my brother applied for a masters loan (as he intends to) although this funding is not based on income; he would still be on the SFE system as being in higher education. And that my mothers income would therefore still be 'split' in relation to my funding as she would still be supporting two children in higher education.

    However when I contacted the postgrad department I was told this is not that case; that my mother would only be classed as supporting myself and my brothers higher education situation would not be taken into account.

    I would really appreciate some clarification on this, as it will have a big impact on the funding I receive.

    Kind regards,
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.