The Student Room Group

Why are there so many misconceptions about BLM??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eigo-Jin
I'm far from offended, I'm just making observations.

As am I.
Original post by WBZ144
The "misconceptions" are coming from people who think that Black lives don't matter.

[video="youtube;l3Z_03zhk14"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z_03zhk14[/video]

Before you go on about me being a right winger, get that out of your head. Im far from it. Precautionary note.

Wonder If ill get a "reminder" for posting a harmless video...... again....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
[video="youtube;l3Z_03zhk14"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z_03zhk14[/video]

Before you go on about me being a right winger, get that out of your head. Im far from it. Precautionary note.

Wonder If ill get a "reminder" for posting a harmless video...... again....

I don't care what you are and I rarely report posts.

What does a Fox News clip prove about an entire political movement? I support the movement because I believe my African American friends when they say that they fear the police, despite being law abiding citizens. I believe the many African Americans who say that they were treated unfairly and with suspicion by the police for no reason other than guilt by an association that they can't help. There needs to be more transparency within the US law enforcement and less corruption, officers should not be getting away with murdering a child for playing with his toy gun.

Yet I have not engaged in any political activism related to the movement or called for violence in any sense. So there goes your arguments.

Last year, a report was released showing email exchanges between members of the Ferguson police force which displayed clear racism. Does that mean that all police officers are racist?
Original post by unknowntsr
As a BLM campaigner, the ignorance around the cause and ethos about this political campaign is remarkable here on TSR, at least from what I can see.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

and then if you have any questions, or counter arguments I would love to hear them.

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

we are not a colour, we are people, so ‘black people’ will suffice.

thanks

You know, the Taliban could make a website saying they're in fact a cats shelter and love animals, but the actions the group have committed would still make them despised.
Not every BLM member/supporter is bad or violent. In fact, some of em are white.

I blame the media like the news. Anytime the media captures radical BLM people, it spins it around to make it seem BLM in general is bad and some people are convinced BLM is a terrorist group.

I don't know every BLM supporter but the few I heard from have good intentions and not violent in any form. Just cuz a couple radicals are crazy does not mean every supporter is crazy, or racist.

You can support the movement and advocate without being racist toward any other race or having any hatred in your heart. Just sayin.
They're not misconceptions when they're true.
Because when black people shoot police officers in the name of BlackLivesMatter, it gets plastered all over the news (bad publicity for BLM).. but, when a police officer shoots a black person (for reasons such as caring for a person with autism, taking out their wallet or ****ing existing), nobody gives a damn.

Also, because a minority of racist black people on Twitter (I've seen screenshots of twitter posts where black people have called for whites to be killed, amongst other things) seems to translate to every person who supports BlackLivesMatter.
Original post by Craig1998
Because when black people shoot police officers in the name of BlackLivesMatter, it gets plastered all over the news (bad publicity for BLM).. but, when a police officer shoots a black person (for reasons such as caring for a person with autism, taking out their wallet or ****ing existing), nobody gives a damn.

Also, because a minority of racist black people on Twitter (I've seen screenshots of twitter posts where black people have called for whites to be killed, amongst other things) seems to translate to every person who supports BlackLivesMatter.

Funny how a good portion of what I've seen to day has been people giving a damn about that ... hmm.

Do you think it might instead have something to do with Shaun King, one of the big names in the movement all but threatening people not to vote for Trump in the upcoming presidential election? But no you're right, that was a misconception.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Jeremy1988 post 7

Jake4198 post 9

Both do a great job of explaining (imo) why the Black community frequently don't help themselves.
Honestly, BLM is a joke. They shut down a mall and an airport. They interrupted Bernie Sanders, who is probably the best candidate for black people in America. They campaigned behind Michael Brown. They harassed students in a library and chanting BLM when everyone else is trying to study.

Not only that, they storm and hijack the stage of speakers who they think are giving "hate speech". As Milo Yiannopoulos pointed out, instead of having a proper debate, BLM prefers to shout in the other person's face until they leave.
Original post by HelpusPleasus

Is it an impossible task?

No. You simply have to engage racists. Take Daryl Davis for example. He decided to interview a load of KKK people including the High Priest. He became good friends and eventually they gave him their cloaks as they decided to leave the Klan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Davis#Writing_career_and_dealing_with_racism

Inspiring stuff, but at no point was he outspoken. I feel in the world we live in at the moment everyone is so keen to be heard we forget to listen. It is only be listening that we can understand, empathise and then challenge.
Original post by Jacklicy
Honestly, BLM is a joke. They shut down a mall and an airport. They interrupted Bernie Sanders, who is probably the best candidate for black people in America. They campaigned behind Michael Brown. They harassed students in a library and chanting BLM when everyone else is trying to study.

Not only that, they storm and hijack the stage of speakers who they think are giving "hate speech". As Milo Yiannopoulos pointed out, instead of having a proper debate, BLM prefers to shout in the other person's face until they leave.

You really actually going to use Milo to help support your argument? Hmkay

A good point is a good point regardless of who makes it. Milo is at least honest about what he is, a deliberately provocative, mean troll.
Reply 33

A speaker getting attacked it seems like a pretty good point to make.

So instead of actually addressing my point about how BLM can't seem to debate, you just went on to show us how BLM can't seem to debate? Why does the identify of Milo matter? It is a valid point nonetheless.

BLM aims to censor rather than address the issue. If they don't like someone else's opinion, they immediately play victim and label it "hate speech". This is a far too common theme amongst BLM, third-wave feminists and Triggerly-Puff.

What you don't understand is that there is a NEED for everything to be openly debated. Ridiculous opinions need to be debated and publicly ridiculed. This is how society progresses. Do you know what is regressive, oppressive and one of the most problematic thing of today? Islam. It again isn't opened for debate.
(edited 7 years ago)
You want to clear things up by providing a source from the BLM website. Because that isn't biased much. People cannot help but feel disillusioned by the movement, and with good reason.
Original post by WBZ144
The "misconceptions" are coming from people who think that Black lives don't matter.

Oh the irony.

Another misconception of us non-BLM folk.

Back again with the us versus them narrative.
Original post by SmileyVibe

I blame the media like the news. Anytime the media captures radical BLM people, it spins it around to make it seem BLM in general is bad and some people are convinced BLM is a terrorist group.

I don't know every BLM supporter but the few I heard from have good intentions and not violent in any form. Just cuz a couple radicals are crazy does not mean every supporter is crazy, or racist.

First paragraph: actually the media portray the BLM folk to be peaceful and progressive, when, for the large part, it isn't. BLM is indeed turning into a somewhat radical group.

Second paragraph: you're starting to sound like those who defend Islam. You're trying to make us believe, anecdotally, that some BLM supporters you know are peaceful and have good intentions. That's one fallacy.

The next fallacy is of course the No True Scotsman.

And it's not just a "couple" of crazies... There are thousands and thousands of them across the US.
Original post by The Roast
First paragraph: actually the media portray the BLM folk to be peaceful and progressive, when, for the large part, it isn't. BLM is indeed turning into a somewhat radical group.

Second paragraph: you're starting to sound like those who defend Islam. You're trying to make us believe, anecdotally, that some BLM supporters you know are peaceful and have good intentions. That's one fallacy.

The next fallacy is of course the No True Scotsman.

And it's not just a "couple" of crazies... There are thousands and thousands of them across the US.

I'm not exactly sure what you news you watch. Do you happen to be from the UK? I'm from the USA and fox news always displays BLM radicals when a couple radicals do something crazy and harmful.

Hey, believe what you want. I don't believe every BLM supporter is racist or violent. In fact, some of them are white. If you want to believe every BLM supporter hates white people and commits crimes, be my guest. I'm not here to make you believe specifically. If you chose to believe that, that is for you decide.

If you want to bring up Islam in a thread revolving BLM then I also will you let you know that I don't believe every follower of Islam is a violent or have bad intentions. I do not generalize an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. But if you do, that is you. Also is there in sounding like those who don't believe every Muslim is out to get them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Austin police violently arrest schoolteacher then tell her that Black people have "violent tendencies".

Sure, police brutality isn't linked to racism at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/jul/22/austin-police-black-people-violent-tendencies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending