The Student Room Group

Why are there so many misconceptions about BLM??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WBZ144
Austin police violently arrest schoolteacher then tell her that Black people have "violent tendencies".

Sure, police brutality isn't linked to racism at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/jul/22/austin-police-black-people-violent-tendencies

That is a perception that people will have of a group that represents 13% of the population but commit around 39% of violent crime the entire group will get the reputation.
Original post by joecphillips
That is a perception that people will have of a group that represents 13% of the population but commit around 39% of violent crime the entire group will get the reputation.

Someone who is anti-BLM yet an apologist for racism, I rest my case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by WBZ144

facts are racist? A random individual black person in America is more likely to commit violent crime than a random individual white person this is a fact, I can't say BLM are racist they celebrate the same no matter the ethnicity of the police officer their supporters kill.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

If you want to discuss the truth of why there is a perception of this and how to end it let's have that discussion, if you want to call people who point out why people have the perception racism apologists nothing improves.
(edited 7 years ago)
facts are racist? A random individual black person in America is more likely to commit violent crime than a random individual white person this is a fact, I can't say BLM are racist they celebrate the same no matter the ethnicity of the police officer their supporters kill.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

You sound like the people who justify terror attacks in the West due to Western intervention in the Middle East. If you can't see how that is racist, it speaks volumes about you.

Numerous people have been shot or manhandled for stupid reasons or none at all. There was absolutely no reason to treat the teacher like that, but as usual racists will look for ways to blame the victims.
Reply 44
Original post by WBZ144
You sound like the people who justify terror attacks in the West due to Western intervention in the Middle East. If you can't see how that is racist, it speaks volumes about you.

Numerous people have been shot or manhandled for stupid reasons or none at all. There was absolutely no reason to treat the teacher like that, but as usual racists will look for ways to blame the victims.

Yes numerous people have but the discussion only gets raised for a certain demographic what about Dylan Noble and Joshua Grubb among others? Those cases would have a huge media backlash but they don't fit the narrative and that is one of the problems the media decide what stories explode and when you are constantly told that someone is targeting people like you then i can understand why people feel like they are being targeted but the latest research shows no racial disparity, that is not saying there is no problems with the police.

I'm not saying I agree with that thinking but some people do think like that and when the cause needs solving anyway why not also recognise that and fix it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144

You surely must see the irony in this statement right? I've seen people who are pro-BLM and who are much more clearly apologists for racism than the person you've quoted so does that mean BLM is racist.
Original post by WBZ144

Yet another person who cries racism when the reality shows something they don't like.

Just in case people say we're fabricating statistics: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-43

Are you going to tell me that these statistics were all fabricated and were an accident? Other years show extremely similar trends too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Doesn't really justify stating that black people have a tendency to be violent. It's still a racist statement to make because its ascribing behaviors to an entire race.

There are more white supremacist groups in the world and whites don't have a very good history when it comes to dealing with non whites but you'll never catch me saying whites have a tendency to be racist. Nor will I report any white person I see as a neo nazi suspect.
It's wrong.

Edit: I don't disagree with your other posts though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yet another person who cries racism when the reality shows something they don't like.

They're just a casualty of modern paternalistic attitudes towards racism. They don't even see the irony or hypocrisy in their statement, namely that apparently pointing out (incorrectly) that an anti-blm supporter is racist and that that therefore means there's something wrong with anti-blm sentiment. the irony being that that is precisely what people are doing with saying BLM is racist and that THAT is the idea they're fighting against (apologies if my point isn't clear). Their views seem to be motivated by this idea that black people can't be racist, which has got to be the most disgustingly patronising form of racism about in the modern world. The notion that black people can't be expected to be held to the same moral standards as whites. It's disgusting and will only serve to oppress black people in a very meaningful way.
Original post by StrawbAri

There are more white supremacist groups in the world and whites don't have a very good history when it comes to dealing with non whites but you'll never catch me saying whites have a tendency to be racist.
It's wrong.

Yes, but there are more members of the black supremacist groups.

https://youtu.be/JeLhb94Efh4?t=10m53s
Big Loving Men am i right???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, but there are more members of the black supremacist groups.

https://youtu.be/JeLhb94Efh4?t=10m53s

I was speaking in terms of all of history.

Also the guy in the video isn't aware of the KKK's recent rallies? 🤔
I was speaking in terms of all of history.

Also the guy in the video isn't aware of the KKK's recent rallies? 🤔

Are you unaware of how much the black supremacist groups dwarf the white ones?

So what if they're protesting?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
The "misconceptions" are coming from people who think that Black lives don't matter.

Indeed, I don't think black lives matter more than any other lives, everyone is equal.
Are you unaware of how much the black supremacist groups dwarf the white ones?

So what if they're protesting?

You can't really compare the numbers of deaths and the attitudes towards people of other races by whites in the past (and in the present though much less) though.

I'm not trying to say only whites are racists. Just pointing out that it'd be wrong of me to ascribe the trait of racism to all white people like it's wrong to ascribe criminality to all black people.
I doubt we're on different pages here.

You could say the same thing about BLM protesters that preach segragation etc
You can't really compare the numbers of deaths and the attitudes towards people of other races by whites in the past (and in the present though much less) though.

I'm not trying to say only whites are racists. Just pointing out that it'd be wrong of me to ascribe the trait of racism to all white people like it's wrong to ascribe criminality to all black people.
I doubt we're on different pages here.

You could say the same thing about BLM protesters that preach segragation etc

Alright, I just wanted to correct your factual error.
Its because the BLM movement gives the Black community a voice. The media portray Black people as violent and aggressive, hence the majority fear the Black community and the idea of them getting a voice
Reply 57
Doesn't really justify stating that black people have a tendency to be violent. It's still a racist statement to make because its ascribing behaviors to an entire race.

There are more white supremacist groups in the world and whites don't have a very good history when it comes to dealing with non whites but you'll never catch me saying whites have a tendency to be racist. Nor will I report any white person I see as a neo nazi suspect.
It's wrong.

Edit: I don't disagree with your other posts though.

Saying group A is statistically more likely to do something than group B isn't racist if the statistics show this, which they do, I know everyone is an individual but if we are having this conversation then we have to discuss the issue of how people are perceived we have to be able to discuss why these perceptions exist and the statistics show part of the reason.

When you talk about recent kkk rallies do you mean the one where they turn up and get attacked?
(edited 7 years ago)
Saying group A is statistically more likely to do something than group B isn't racist if the statistics show this, which they do, I know everyone is an individual but if we are having this conversation then we have to discuss the issue of how people are perceived we have to be able to discuss why these perceptions exist and the statistics show part of the reason.

When you talk about recent kkk rallies do you mean the one where they turn up and get attacked?

Are you implying that the kkk are the victims?
Reply 59
Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi
Are you implying that the kkk are the victims?

In the situation I believe they are talking about they were the victims.

I disagree with what they say but I don't think violence should be used to shut down speech.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending