The Student Room Group

Volunteering

I'm about to start as next year and am thinking of applying for medicine at uni,
Will it help that I've just gotten a role
To do volunteering for a retail shop that makes money for a hospice ? If this is/isn't useful could you let me know, and if it is, why is it useful ? Should I focus on getting work experience at an actual gp/hospital/care home etc
Original post by Sugarbabes
I'm about to start as next year and am thinking of applying for medicine at uni,
Will it help that I've just gotten a role
To do volunteering for a retail shop that makes money for a hospice ? If this is/isn't useful could you let me know, and if it is, why is it useful ? Should I focus on getting work experience at an actual gp/hospital/care home etc

It's fine, but if you can get volunteering experience at the actual hospice or a care home, it may give you a better insight. The important thing on your PS is to write down what you learnt from your voluntary work rather than to just list down every single voluntary work/work experience that you did. If you can get work experience at a hospital/GP practice alongside this, that would be very good.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
It's fine, but if you can get volunteering experience at the actual hospice or a care home, it may give you a better insight. The important thing on your PS is to write down what you learnt from your voluntary work rather than to just list down every single voluntary work/work experience that you did. If you can get work experience at a hospital/GP practice alongside this, that would be very good.

Yeah I know that would be ideal but because I'm only 16 I'm not allowed to actually volunteer in the hospice itself according to the manager I have to be 18+, so yeah thanks I'll bear that in mind and I was just wondering whether about the validity, like is this bit of volunteering relevant at all to my
Medicike application ?
Original post by Sugarbabes
Yeah I know that would be ideal but because I'm only 16 I'm not allowed to actually volunteer in the hospice itself according to the manager I have to be 18+, so yeah thanks I'll bear that in mind and I was just wondering whether about the validity, like is this bit of volunteering relevant at all to my
Medicike application ?

Should be fine as long as you can relate it to the skills you learnt. A lot of my PS for Medicine wasn't directly related to Medical Stuff but it seemed to go down well.

Quick Reply

Latest