The Student Room Group

About the Latymer school sixth form, Edmonton

Hello all,

I've just completed GCSE's and have a choice between two conditional offers: Latymer school in Edmonton or Highbury Grove school which is closer to home.

For A levels I'm taking Music, Drama, English lit and History.

Having attended the open days for both, I have a basic outline of what each school is offering but due to the a relatively short open day I was unable to gain an insight into how English lit and History were at Latymer or meet any of the teachers. Any words from previous students who have taken these and the other subjects I listed would be much appreciated.
I would recommend you attend Highbury Grove school over Latymer. As an external Latymer student myself, I feel like the teachers pay less attention to me since I am an external. In Latymer the sciences and maths are amazinggg, however since you are taking other subjects I would not recommend Latymer at all. I take English and I do not feel like i'm doing as good as I can (I got A* in both lit and language at GCSE), since Latymer's exam board for English is Welsh, so it makes it even more difficult to adapt to. I also take drama and not to sound rude but the people at my school are not very good at the practical side of drama so I feel that the performances are really lacking emotion. But music at Latymer is really good from what i've seen (i dont take it).
Reply 2
How about the History and English department in general, are the teachers good?
Reply 3
I'm considering taking AQA english lit externally
No. Despite the amazing results, the teachers are not all that. Latymer gets these outstanding results due to each student paying lots of money for external tutors for help, so at the end of the day Latymer is only good because the rich kids of the school have great tutors not teachers. But at the end of the day i'm not 100% sure since I do not take History anymore so it couldve changed but to stay safe go to your other sicth form
Reply 5
You end up having to do that yourself? How many tutors did you get? Or did you do most of the study?
Reply 6
I must say that it doesn't change my mind thst much. Both schools have their pros and cons but I have spoken and met teachers from both. I haven't been able to do this for History because, as you probably know, Mr. Gareth is retiring.

Quick Reply

Latest