Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenance loan/grant woes.

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm really looking for some help or advice, having just tried with a Student Finance Advisor over the phone and gotten nowhere.Basically I've just checked online to see what I'll be getting this year, and was shocked to find I'm getting LESS than last year, if anything I thought i'd be getting more. My parents financial circumstances haven't changed for the better, if anything they've got worse. Plus when I did the 'Student Finance Calculator' it estimated that I'd get more this year.. So you can imagine my shock when I saw they're offering me less.I then went scouting for answers. I read in this official leaflet I downloaded that it is actually optional to give your parents details to be assessed? Is this true? If so can I ditch this application and re-apply without inputting their stuff. I've always hated the stupid 'household income' thing anyway as my parents don't give me a penny and I need all the help I can get. I always thought it was compulsory to put what your parents earnt in, but it kept saying 'should you choose to disclose your parents income' as if it was a choice! There must be something I can do to get more help. I'm literally getting the bare minimum which works out about £290 a month. It's no where near enough! HELP PEOPLE

Are you in your final year?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.