The Student Room Group

Show subject interests?

I currently am willing to do medicine in the foreseeable future...
I do several extra-curricular which are related and may prove helpful and l have got good grades...
I have heard that blogging may help
is this true?

I am considering blogging about a medicine related topic...
Im not sure which yet though!

I was told it is a excellent way of demonstrating your enthusiasm and actively partaking in discourse on medicine..is this true and what are your views on this?

Also,what medical related subject would you advise blogging about if any?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
I do several extra-curricular which are related and may prove helpful and l have got good grades...
is this true?

I was told it is a excellent way of demonstrating your enthusiasm and actively partaking in discourse on medicine..is this true and what are your views on this?

Thanks.

For medicine you NEED experience in a medical setting, so a hospital, doctors surgery or care home. If you do not have this experience your application will go straight in the bin without even a second glance.

You can blog about medicine on top of this work experience and keeping your grades up, but it's no where near the most important thing-grades and work experience are*
Original post by super_kawaii
For medicine you NEED experience in a medical setting, so a hospital, doctors surgery or care home. If you do not have this experience your application will go straight in the bin without even a second glance.

You can blog about medicine on top of this work experience and keeping your grades up, but it's no where near the most important thing-grades and work experience are*

I have done WE Before...Thanks for the information.
WE only last 1-5 days though...So how much should i have in terms of duration for medicine?
Do i need to keep re-applying one after the another to get my duration up past 5 days or?

Also,does blogging have any VALUE at all?

Thanks.

WE only last 1-5 days though...So how much should i have in terms of duration for medicine?
Do i need to keep re-applying one after the another to get my duration up past 5 days or?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
is this true?
Thanks.

Blogging is always good (wordpress.com is a good one I've heard)
If you are looking for other things: attending public lectures, helping at your school/college at open days/welcome days and also reading (anything relevant - even just the science section in the news - is good)
Original post by VNN

Thanks.

I don't do medicine, but I have friends who do, and they all had more than 5 days. If you're in year 12 you will need to try and get a couple of months worth over the summer holiday, if you want any chance of having a competitive application in an already oversaturated course, numbers wise.

Blogging can show an aspect of the kinds of medicine you're into, but it will never replace WE. Work experience is a REQUIREMENT for medicine. You have 0 hope of getting in with your amount*
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
If you are looking for other things: attending public lectures, helping at your school/college at open days/welcome days and also reading (anything relevant - even just the science section in the news - is good)

Will your reading come up in interviews at all?
Also,what other Extra-curricular(Apart from WE!) May help in medicine?
other info. Is also appreciated that may prove useful...

Thanks.
I don't do medicine, but I have friends who do, and they all had more than 5 days. If you're in year 12 you will need to try and get a couple of months worth over the summer holiday, if you want any chance of having a competitive application in an already oversaturated course, numbers wise.

Blogging can show an aspect of the kinds of medicine you're into, but it will never replace WE. Work experience is a REQUIREMENT for medicine. You have 0 hope of getting in with your amount*

Oh ok thanks a lot...
By the way,Im only in Y10....
This is all just for the future so i have easily enough time to build up WE,Right?

Thanks.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Also,in general do you have to re-appy to get more WE Each time?
As medical WE last only 1-5 days and may people have months of it...
I live in the uk and apply for WE through the ULHT which is part of the NHS...
Is there any other ways to apply and do i need to re-apply filling in a massive form each time!?
IE.So you have to re-apply 10 times just to et am of 50 days?

Thanks...
Original post by VNN
Oh ok thanks a lot...
This is all just for the future so i have easily enough time to build up WE,Right?

Thanks.

Yeah, the more time you have the better, although every year hospitals and surgeries are inundated with hopeful medics trying to get work experience.

The fact you're in year 10 and underage (I'm assuming you're still 15) is what is preventing you getting something more long term with regards to experience. I'm sure you can understand why they wouldn't want a child on the professional side of things. Maybe try more seriously next summer when you have more time after finishing your GCSEs and you'll be of a more appropriate age in their eyes
Original post by VNN
Will your reading come up in interviews at all?
Also,what other Extra-curricular(Apart from WE!) May help in medicine?
other info. Is also appreciated that may prove useful...
Thanks.

if you state it in your PS "I read ?" then 100% and make sure you've read it and been analytical about what u read
Idk, not applying for medicine, just trying to shout out the obvious ones before some other tsrian does lool
XD
Reply 11
Original post by VNN
Oh ok thanks a lot...

Thanks.

Y10... you haven't even done GCSEs yet. Don't get ahead of yourself. Focus on those GCSEs for the moment.

Honestly, there's no need to even consider stressing about this stuff until much later.

Also I've moved your thread to the Medicine forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm pretty sure you don't need two months worth of work experience, unless you are including voluntary work which is more long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending