The Student Room Group

What is a typical timetable for Optometry students at University?

As stated in the title...
"What is a typical timetable for Optometry students at University?"
I've heard it's a very intensive course! :/
It is. Every uni is different but expect to do 15-30hrs a week plus private study.
Original post by alleycat393
It is. Every uni is different but expect to do 15-30hrs a week plus private study.

Wow, that does sound very intensive!!
Do many Optometry students work part time whilst studying? If so, it must be difficult to keep up with the work load!! :frown:
All degrees are intensive mate
Original post by ALittleLost25
All degrees are intensive mate

I'll agree that all degrees are intensive. But a Performing Arts degree definitely isn't as intensive as a Medical degree or STEM subject. I heard that Optometry is almost as difficult as going to Med school which is why I wanted to make sure beforehand :smile:
Original post by Philip-flop
I'll agree that all degrees are intensive. But a Performing Arts degree definitely isn't as intensive as a Medical degree or STEM subject. I heard that Optometry is almost as difficult as going to Med school which is why I wanted to make sure beforehand :smile:

My only advice would be to only do it if you're passionate about eyes and corrective lenses. Otherwise you'll lose steam on the course and fall behind, then by the time you graduate you won't want to pick up a retinoscope ever again
Original post by ALittleLost25
My only advice would be to only do it if you're passionate about eyes and corrective lenses. Otherwise you'll lose steam on the course and fall behind, then by the time you graduate you won't want to pick up a retinoscope ever again

Yeah that's very true. I'm trying to weigh up my options as to whether it's something I actually want to do. Obviously the patient interaction is a good positive but I am worried about the course content. Thanks for your advice! :smile:
Original post by Philip-flop
Wow, that does sound very intensive!!
Do many Optometry students work part time whilst studying? If so, it must be difficult to keep up with the work load!! :frown:

I would advise against it and if you must then only commit to stuff that you know you can do and that won't make your studies suffer after you know what the degree is like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest