The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

EDIT! Update: the increase in fees wil now affect current students who are already studying

Some universities have jumped the gun and declared they will be charging higher tuition fees ahead of the teaching excellent framework (TEF) being signed off by Parliament.

For Autumn 2017 Durham, Kent and Royal Holloway websites state that their fees will be £9,250 even though Parliament haven't actually signed off the plan for fees yet.

However, based on the recent mock-up of the TEF only Kent feature in the top 10. You find more information on the TEF here.

"Announcing a higher level of fees of £9,250 was attacked as "disgraceful arrogance from some universities" by the Liberal Democrat education spokesman John Pugh".

Sally Hunt, leader of the UCU lecturers' union, said: 'Those universities foolish enough to advertise higher fees will be doing nothing to quell concerns from students and parents that they are simply after as much cash as they can get."

The BBC has also reported that fees could increase up to £10,000 a year over the next 4 years.

Full report is here

We also recently published an article on uni fees, the TEF and inflation. You can read it here
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@She-Ra - yes just saw this on BBC too. Seems a bit odd if their TEF hasn't even been approved yet.

Cambridge (not mentioned in BBC report) are also saying £9,250
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6433/UniCompositionFeesSchedule-TablesofFees.pdf

One thing to remember it doesn't apply if you are already at university. It's just for those starting their courses in 2017/18.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
@She-Ra - yes just saw this on BBC too. Seems a bit odd if their TEF hasn't even been approved yet.

Cambridge (not mentioned in BBC report) are also saying £9,250
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6433/UniCompositionFeesSchedule-TablesofFees.pdf

One thing to remember it doesn't apply if you are already at university. It's just for those starting their courses in 2017/18.

Interesting that they didn't give Cambridge a mention in the article.....

I wonder for how much longer the rule will remain that you continue to pay in second and and third year what you paid in first year, even though fees up gone up. I wonder if uni contracts will change and confirm that the fees may go up across the three years.....
Not much more than inflation, though. In real terms the amount of money they get will go down, but costs will go up, so its pretty obvious they will need to increase prices. Perhaps students will consider more carefully which course to go on and demand value for money.
This is based on https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/535844/bis-16-278-year-one-list.pdf

Universities have the opportunity to opt in or out of this list (if they meet QAA criteria for current quality) and those on the list are allowed to increase fees by inflation in 2017/18.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/teaching-excellence-framework-year-1-list-of-eligible-providers

"We expect to confirm the final list in August 2016. More details of the 2017 to 2018 fees and student support package will be published in a written ministerial statement."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I can understand Cambridge ect demanding more but Kent .....
Reply 6
I'm not sure if you know, but the banner link is to a thread from 2007 about Le Vie en Rose instead of this one :ninja:

It's so frustrating how they're increasing fees yet again. I do somewhat understand it, but education is supposed to be a human right. It sort of feels like they're infringing upon it when they make it more and more expensive to access...
Original post by She-Ra
Some universities have jumped the gun and declared they will be charging higher tuition fees ahead of the teaching excellent framework (TEF) being signed off by Parliament.

For Autumn 2017 Durham, Kent and Royal Holloway websites state that their fees will be £9,250 even though Parliament haven't actually signed off the plan for fees yet.

However, based on the recent mock-up of the TEF only Kent feature in the top 10. You find more information on the TEF here.

The BBC has also reported that fees could increase up to £10,000 a year over the next 4 years.

Full report is here

We also recently published an article on uni fees, the TEF and inflation. You can read it here

I can understand Cambridge, Durham and maybe Royal Holloway raising their fees but Kent?
urgh
more debt
uuuurrrggggggggghhhh
end the suffering
This has been expected - it's just a bit surprising/interesting to see this and the HE bill going through parliament relatively unopposed due to all the political distractions.
The image below was created in Nov 2015
Really ashamed that my current institution is one of those that have pre-emptively announced higher fees :mad:
Reply 11
Original post by She-Ra
Interesting that they didn't give Cambridge a mention in the article.....

It was somewhat, er, buried on the Cambridge site. :wink:

I can't see anything on 2017/18 fees for Oxford but we can be sure they (and all the RG and indeed probably 90% of the rest) will follow suit.
But Kent is rated higher than any of them in the new TEF which has turned the traditional league tables on their head.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26179-Model-TEF-rankings-turn-leage-tables-upside-down
Well i'm going to uni in 2018/2019. I need to get a job ASAP now :redface:
Original post by She-Ra
But Kent is rated higher than any of them in the new TEF which has turned the traditional league tables on their head.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26179-Model-TEF-rankings-turn-leage-tables-upside-down

That's not the TEF though - it's a shoddy attempt to replicate the TEF using partial data.
Original post by jneill
It was somewhat, er, buried on the Cambridge site. :wink:

I can't see anything on 2017/18 fees for Oxford but we can be sure they (and all the RG and indeed probably 90% of the rest) will follow suit.

Nice detective work Sir :hat2:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really ashamed that my current institution is one of those that have pre-emptively announced higher fees :mad:

I think plenty others will be sure to follow suit. :console:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Well i'm going to uni in 2018/2019. I need to get a job ASAP now :redface:

Tuition fee loans will be increased in line with fees - the only impact on the increase on applicants will be that they'll be repaying their student loans for a longer period of time.
It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance
Original post by PQ
That's not the TEF though - it's a shoddy attempt to replicate the TEF using partial data.

I know, but it's still interesting how different it was. I'm not sure about the validity of NSS in there though, I have to say it wasn't really what I was expecting. I thought it would have a sense of Ofsted for Unis......

Do you know what data wasn't used this time round? :ninja:
Original post by Gogregg
I'm not sure if you know, but the banner link is to a thread from 2007 about Le Vie en Rose instead of this one :ninja:

It's so frustrating how they're increasing fees yet again. I do somewhat understand it, but education is supposed to be a human right. It sort of feels like they're infringing upon it when they make it more and more expensive to access...

Free education only applies to it at an elementarty level. Higher education just requires access based on merit.
They are just asking you to pay a bit more, but are probiding the funding to do so. Their costs still go ip.

Quick Reply

Latest