Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Meningitis Jab before starting uni

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    This is VERY important.

Well sometimes signing up to your uni's medical centre on Freshers is a bog-standard thing and they will ask you whether you had a meningitis jab before. You say "no" and usually, they'll offer it to you. Some unis don't, some unis do. Ask your uni personally.

At my first uni, 2 people got it. One died after 2/3 weeks and one fell into a coma and it was announced the family decided to turn his life support off after I think it was 5-6 months after being induced. It was just right before Christmas as well. It was so shocking to hear it cause you'd never would have thought it'd happen. While it's extremely uncommon, it still happens when you're 18. It's because Freshers go haaaard and their immune system just falls apart so you're looking for trouble if you don't take precautions.

So I definitely consider you should get it done cause you never know. You think it's highly unlikely, but it's not impossible sweetheart. Get it done for your own sake.
    That's good to hear! I'll sort it out when I get to uni then - I move in a week before Freshers so I should be able to get it done before everyone else moves in and swamps the medical centre or have a chance to spread anything to me.

Thanks so much for your input!

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Ah, on my letter it said it was for those born between Sept 1st 1997 and Aug something 1998. It's basically a replacement for the usual one that they give to those heading off to uni. You should still be able to get it, but that's probably why you weren't on the system. If you had the jab when you were 18 then you may be okay, but they may suggest a booster anyway because of the increase in risk when you head off to uni.
    It's likely because I'm past the typical age people go to uni I suppose! Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely get it when I get to York!

(Original post by Katarvi)
    It's likely because I'm past the typical age people go to uni I suppose! Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely get it when I get to York!
    Yeah, at my surgery it was a case of the system flagging up who should have it by date of birth, so that could well be it

You might find this useful. Show it to your GP

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.