The Student Room Group

Doing Higher English this year

I'm already at university but this year I have decided to sit Higher English at night classes, since I enjoyed it at school but only got a C, so Im hoping to do a bit better this time. I was wondering, its been ages since I did the course, is it still a personal study, a Shakespeare essay and a piece of creative writing? What else makes up your final grade apart from the exam? Thanks :smile:

p.s. Do all Higher candidates do the same Shakepeare play or is it up to the school/college?
Reply 1
There's the personal study yeah. Then in the exam you do a close reading double passage and two essays from drama, prose, poetry and language. However you don't know what questions are going to come up for the essays so you kind of have to study more than only two texts to go into the exam confident you'll get suitable questions.

And yup, the texts are up to the school. But there's nothing to stop you studying a text independently and writing about it in the exam, a girl in my class did that.
Reply 2
Nah, you don't have to do Shakespeare at all. The only things that makes up your final grade are: the two literature essays done in the exam (like Sammi22 explained :smile:), and a close reading passage.

Creative writing (or discursive writing) and personal study are only NABs; as is textual analysis.

Here's the course outline from the SQA website, and there's specimen question papers here, under Higher.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 3
:confused: What?! Good god, someone doing Higher English by choice??

Ach, good luck for you. I think your Qs have already been answered - your mark's based entirely on two essays you'll do (at about 40 mins each, woop woop) and a close reading, all at the end of year exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending