The Student Room Group

Which A level combination should I pick

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
Nit doing econ at A-level won't disadvantage you. But if you drop it it looks like you don't actually like it and that can put unis off.

so would it be a good idea not to take econmics at all, because im not sure I will do it a uni,

so my choices would be maths,further maths and physics
Reply 21
Original post by theBranicAc
so would it be a good idea not to take econmics at all, because im not sure I will do it a uni,

so my choices would be maths,further maths and physics

Arguably it's a good idea to take it so you get a feel for it but if you decide that you like it you should do it to full A2 because otherwise the uni will look weirdly at you.
Original post by rxns_00

Note that some Cambridge Colleges require you to have further maths for Comp Sci, and both Cambridge and Oxford encourage you to have two or more science subjects. Both require maths, however by "science subjects" I dont know whether they mean traditional sciences only or if they include A level Computer science.

We (Oxford) certainly include Computer Science as a science subject. Indeed, it is probably the most useful science to do (IMO). We should probably make that clearer on our web pages.

So i've checked on oxford university entry requirements, and it says that further maths or another science is highly recommend. Would as physics give me an advantage or would it be better to take the full a level physics or full a level further maths.

Also this has given me another dilemma. The thing is I still want to study all the 4 subjects for sixth form, but because I would most likely study computer science at oxbridge I would need to take further maths to stand a chance

You don't need Further Maths to stand a chance; but it's certainly very helpful. I'd recommend Further Maths over Physics.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Do physics and economics as the other two, because if you decide at one point you would prefer economics than computer science, it would be rather strange not to have economics a level.

I suggest OP asks the Economics Department about that.

Plus, no top university asks for computer science a level for admission, nor does it advantage anyone that offers it.

None asks for Computer Science A Level, but it is advantageous to have it (or other relevant experience). Admissions tutors like to see some evidence that you know what the subject is about; and if you've never done any programming, you would find the degree a steep learning curve.

I think the ideal A Levels for a Computer Science degree at Oxford would be Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science. Physics would be best as a fourth option (but we don't pay very much attention beyond the first three). If OP wants to keep the option of Economics open, then that might change things.

Gavin
so to do economics a uni you don't need economics alevel but rather maths alevel and/or furhter maths. However, the below poster said not taking economics to a level would be worse than not doing it at all, so would it be a better option to do physics to as instead of economics?

I think it's very speculative to say that universities will treat you unfavourably, just because you didn't take economics to A2, (when they don't even ask for it at all in the first place).

Additionally, shouldn't you wait until results day next year to decide whether to do physics/economics/computer science A2?

Right now, I suggest taking AS maths, further maths and physics and deciding whether you want to do computer science or economics as a fourth subject. You can always change subjects within the first fortnight (in my experience anyway)
So now I've eliminated one of the subjects; what would be the best option: take 4 A levels, 3 A levels or 3 A levels and 1 AS?
To me it seems like taking 3 A levels and 1 AS will be a waste of time because it's not like that I don't like the subjects I will be taking so why waste time only studying it for 1 year when I can not do it and have less workload

Original post by gavinlowe

None asks for Computer Science A Level, but it is advantageous to have it (or other relevant experience). Admissions tutors like to see some evidence that you know what the subject is about; and if you've never done any programming, you would find the degree a steep learning curve.

I think the ideal A Levels for a Computer Science degree at Oxford would be Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science. Physics would be best as a fourth option (but we don't pay very much attention beyond the first three). If OP wants to keep the option of Economics open, then that might change things.

Gavin

Not taking computer science at a level would't be a problem to me because I took it at Gcse as well as knowing how to program in python, and I'm going to learn java programming.

I think it's very speculative to say that universities will treat you unfavourably, just because you didn't take economics to A2, (when they don't even ask for it at all in the first place).

Additionally, shouldn't you wait until results day next year to decide whether to do physics/economics/computer science A2?

Right now, I suggest taking AS maths, further maths and physics and deciding whether you want to do computer science or economics as a fourth subject. You can always change subjects within the first fortnight (in my experience anyway)

No what she meant, is taking economics to as and not a2 will seem like I'm not interested in it or I didn't like it, so if thats the case why would I apply for an economics degree?

I don't need to take compsci a level as I found it, so it really about phyiscs or economics. But the problem is which one and would I do economics and uni?

So I should do all four subjects at As and then do the subject (economics) at a2 if i decide i want to do it at uni? Also I don't need to take compsci, so I should just do all 4 subjects?
So now I've eliminated one of the subjects; what would be the best option: take 4 A levels, 3 A levels or 3 A levels and 1 AS?
To me it seems like taking 3 A levels and 1 AS will be a waste of time because it's not like that I don't like the subjects I will be taking so why waste time only studying it for 1 year when I can not do it and have less workload

Not taking computer science at a level would't be a problem to me because I took it at Gcse as well as knowing how to program in python, and I'm going to learn java programming.

No what she meant, is taking economics to as and not a2 will seem like I'm not interested in it or I didn't like it, so if thats the case why would I apply for an economics degree?

I don't need to take compsci a level as I found it, so it really about phyiscs or economics. But the problem is which one and would I do economics and uni?

So I should do all four subjects at As and then do the subject (economics) at a2 if i decide i want to do it at uni? Also I don't need to take compsci, so I should just do all 4 subjects?

Do all 4 at AS initially, if you can't handle it/ don't like it, just drop one during the year - problem solved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Do all 4 at AS initially, if you can't handle it/ don't like it, just drop one during the year - problem solved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't do that due to the new spec.
Original post by Aph
Can't do that due to the new spec.

yes, but you can do as solely as a qualification, like a level is a qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and if i were to only take 3, what will be the best combination if i was to study either economics or compSci at uni?
and if i were to only take 3, what will be the best combination if i was to study either economics or compSci at uni?

Maths, further maths and physics. They all feed into each other too. If you were certain on taking econ at uni, I'd probably say take Eco as third, but take physics in this case, since it will keep you favourable for computer science courses too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Maths, further maths and physics. They all feed into each other too. If you were certain on taking econ at uni, I'd probably say take Eco as third, but take physics in this case, since it will keep you favourable for computer science courses too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I see and thanks for all the help you've given me:smile:
Ok I see and thanks for all the help you've given me:smile:

Haha, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest