Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Next step after level 3 BTEC Engineering

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I have just finished studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering coming out with D*D*D* and i am struggling in finding the best area to go after. I have decided not to go to uni as i don't think i will be able to do well in the exams. I have applied to higher apprenticeships as i believe that it is the best place to go to (companies like GKN, Bombardier, etc..). I have got to the final stages of all of them (in the last 25) but have been unsuccessful and been put on the lists for next year. I have also looked for jobs but it is very hard to find a good job that isn't basic work that you could get if you did a level 2 BTEC.

Has anyone done this course, if so what did you do after and how easy was it to get there?

I did the same as you and also did very well on the course. It is true I have found exams a little difficult and challenging too but its worth all the stress and hard work. Thats all it is.. I got the chance to study for 2 years and im on a placement year at BMW then I will go back and finish my final year with experience from a great company. So when I graduate I will be in a much better position to find a job.

I think if you want to progress quicker and have a better salary you should think about uni. its a great experience and it will teach you how to time manage and give you experience working in teams on project and so on.

Apprenticeships are an alternative but you will still need to do courses (involving studying) to become qualified. I have friends that took apprenticeship and they will be stuck on that career path for a long time. the benefit of a degree specially engineering, is that it allows you to expand into other areas such as business, finance, almost anything.

Hope my insight was helpful.

You realise higher apprenticeships are uni + guaranteed summer internships right? If you don't think you'll do well at uni then it's a bit odd to apply to what is essentially uni+
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.