Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ex behaving strangely.

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your reply, all good stuff.

So, I've wracked my brain for what I might have done - I certainly didn't overtext, and can't think of a time when I showed any particular insecurity.

After we slept together, since I know she was still somewhat caught up over her ex and was depressed/bulimic as a result, I told her that if I was just a distraction to her, a rebound, then it wasn't a good idea. She assured me that this wasn't the case in any sense and wanted to see me more over the Summer. This was prior to the meet where she was pretty keen, holding hands etc.

I recently suggested we meet up when she contacted me out of the blue. She agreed but was again wishy-washy in terms of a day. I suggested something, she said she would have to check as might be busy. Two days later, on the suggested day of the meet, having not contacted me in between at all to confirm or suggest an alternative, she randomly messaged to say 'fancy a coffee'. Having not heard anything, I had made plans. Plus, a daytime coffee doesn't create the opportunity for sex or bonding imo. So I suggested meeting that eve, but she was again busy.
    She'll contact you again, I'm sure of it.

Then you can just invite her out. If she's wish-washy about it again, just say "That's a shame, well let me know when you're free!".

And then proceed to go no contact until/if she contacts you again

It's simple. Let her chase you.

You don't know what is in someone else's mind or what has happened in their life so analysing yourself eg "did I do something wrong?" is probably fruitless and likely to be well off the mark.

People go back to their ex's for brief flings for various reasons, a common one is if other things have happened (they have been rejected/dumped) and they think their ex still likes them they will go back to get some attention. Yes it can be just about getting some action but I think its generally more wanting the confidence boost of having someone that they know will pay them attention. Sometimes it can be mutually beneficial to maintain an arms-length pseudo-relationship with an ex as you then both feel you have someone 'close' who will give you attention in various forms but a brutal truth here is that when one party finds someone new in their life, their interest in the ex can drop like a stone and they can move to cut off completely because they don't want it to jeopardise things with their new interest.

I had that kind of thing with my ex for a while, we'd occasionally meet up and get together but it was more than that, sometimes we'd just flirt on WhatsApp and it was nice to get the attention, other times if we were stressed/worried about something in her life we'd call the other as a safe bet who we knew would be on our side and supportive. I spent a lot of time thinking about whether we should get back together - because the personality clashes that had made us split up were still there, but in an "ex's" relationship they weren't as relevant as they would be if we fully got together. But there would be little moments if we were together when it was obvious that the chemistry was there and we still really liked the other a lot. The other weird thing was when we were in that "ex's" status, I spent much more time fantasizing over her, social media stalking her pics, than I did when we were together, and I got jealous about any idea that she might get with someone else. It was always a case of thinking about the trade-offs and whether it would actually work again or whether it would just be massively stressful being with her because we'd clash.

Then when I found someone else, harsh to say but my interest in my ex completely dropped off my radar. I would still be nice to her if she contacted me but I never initiated contact and the sexual flirting has stopped or meeting up to get together. After a while she started to pick up on it saying stuff like "you never ask to meet up with me any more". I think the difference is that when I found someone else that doesn't come with all the difficult behavioural traits that my ex had, there's no more debate in my mind about "are the downsides worth giving it another chance" and my ex has just become an ex who I'm still fundamentally on good terms with.

If I hadn't have found someone else what would have happened...who knows, I don't know if I'd have wanted to get back with her properly, probably we'd have carried on our existing arrangement, and maybe it even may have gone the other way, she might have found someone and I'd be stewing with jealousy on the outside?

Is that a reflection upon me or?

What I don'tunderstand is that she told me "I've decided all I want is to be happy from now on".

In more or less the same sentence, she told me that we "get on better" than she does with almost anyone and "I still haven't felt the same way I felt about you about anyone else, and doubt whether I will. Maybe that's why I want to see you". Surely that would lead her to want to pursue things with me?

Sucks that we were once SO close, meant so much to each other and now she sees me as nothing more than another option. She certainly has options but is constantly saying, unprompted, that I've meant more to her than anyone else, and still do in some respects.
    No not a reflection on you, just seems funny how she dropped you when she went to uni and suddenly got back in touch when she was home, just makes me think she still wants to keep you around for when she does come home.

It's a girl dude. They're weird and it's often impossible to understand them.

Why be so enthused, so keen and then suddenly go cold!?
    This is all you need to ask her (why so hot and cold?), ideally face to face, if not phone, if not social media, if not text

Good luck, Jim
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.