The Student Room Group

A-Level Confusion

Hey everyone, would just like a bit of advice :smile:

I either want to be an architect, engineer or perhaps go into medicine. Yep, they're all really different...that's where my problem is!!
I'm currently put down to be taking Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem and Phys but I've asked to be changed to Fine Art in place of Biology, as I thought this would show more breadth (thought all-science was a bit narrow, and besides I'd probably get a bit bored) and help towards Architecture.
However, my GCSE subjects were very broad, as broad as I could have possibly got (yeah, I had a hard time haha :p:), so, I was just wondering, should I change? Or should I stick with the traditional all-science combo?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Edit: Oh actually, I should also add that I didn't take Art for GCSE, but I did do Product Design and the teachers running the course said I would cope fine as long as I put the work in. Thing is, with F.Maths as an extra, will it be too much work? Or should I go for it??
Reply 1
Some medicine degrees require biology... have a look.

Otherwise, I think it's fine that you replace bio with fine art as you have the other science subjects.
You should leave the art out and keep biology. I think all of those, including architecture may be okay. I know they all look for maths and you have that. Do you not have any idea which you would rather go for?
Reply 3
For Medicine, you’ll need both Chemistry and Biology at A-Level (some universities accept Biology to AS-Level), while Engineering you’ll need Physics, and for Architecture you’ll need Maths and some universities require Art or Design.

To be honest, I think either you need to narrow your possibilities for a degree, or maybe it would be best to drop Further Maths as it’s not necessary for any of the subjects you are interested in studying; also, if you do take Further Maths and decide to go for Medicine, it won’t be counted as a separate A-Level.

So, if you took Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Fine Art, you should be fine for Architecture, Engineering, and Medicine.
Reply 4
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Art and Biology would be the best combination. By the end of year 12 you should have decided which path you wish to pursue, so you can drop one subject accordingly and maybe take up AS Further Maths.
Saying that Further Maths isn't required for any of the subjects he's applying for, whilst correct (this is correct as no university is allowed to require it), he will find it near impossible to get into a top uni for engineering without f.maths, as his school does offer it.

To the OP, i really think you need to refine your possible choices for uni; all 3 you're considering are highly competitive, so it is best that you try and make yourself as good an apllicant as possible by specializing for that subject earlier - though thats just my opinion.

Good Luck in making your choice.
There are no required subjects for most Architecture courses, but they like you to have Maths and Art. Art also really helps when you need to put a portfolio together.

schrodinger's cat

To the OP, i really think you need to refine your possible choices for uni; all 3 you're considering are highly competitive, so it is best that you try and make yourself as good an apllicant as possible by specializing for that subject earlier - though thats just my opinion.

Good Luck in making your choice.

Agreed... and because they're so competitive, you'll need to show a real passion for whichever one you end up chosing.. which is pretty hard if you're torn between 3 different career paths. :wink:
Reply 7
schrodinger's cat
Saying that Further Maths isn't required for any of the subjects he's applying for, whilst correct (this is correct as no university is allowed to require it), he will find it near impossible to get into a top uni for engineering without f.maths, as his school does offer it.

UCL requires it for their Mathematics degrees and it’s stated as such on their website; admittedly that’s the only one I know of, but I don’t think it’s a case that they’re not allowed to require it, rather not everyone is able to do it due to their school not offering it, so by requiring it they may lose out on a top candidate which they wouldn’t want to do.

I would also say he would only be disadvantaged if Further Maths is recommended, providing available, as a third A-Level – like at Imperial – as opposed to other places which don’t even mention it – UCL.
Andrzej S.
UCL requires it for their Mathematics degrees and it’s stated as such on their website; admittedly that’s the only one I know of, but I don’t think it’s a case that they’re not allowed to require it, rather not everyone is able to do it due to their school not offering it, so by requiring it they may lose out on a top candidate which they wouldn’t want to do.

I would also say he would only be disadvantaged if Further Maths is recommended, providing available, as a third A-Level like at Imperial as opposed to other places which don’t even mention it UCL.

I'm agreeing with you of further maths importance for people doing maths, physics and engineering (and perhaps others); however, under the current political climate i didn't think any university would be allowed to make a subject a requirement when it is often not offered in the state sector. With equal oppurtunities etc i think even UCL for maths (i wasn't aware of this) would be able to reject someone solely (sp?) on the grounds that they don't do a subject not offered by their school/college.

Sorry for dragging that out :p: I'm essentially agreeing with you.
If your school/college does not offer Further Maths then you are not discriminated against. That's the view of at least Cambridge and Imperial.

However, if you want to do a mathematics degree, further maths is a must (after all Cambridge has possibly the most difficult maths course in the world). The above comment applied to subjects like physics.
Reply 10
Oh, sorry, maybe I should clear this up a little bit. :redface:

In my school, we can't do 5 A-Levels; Further Maths is just an accelerated Maths A-Level which results in a few more Maths lessons per cycle. This will mean that I complete the Maths A-Level in one year, and then can choose either to continue with Further Maths as an A-Level in one year again, or drop it and still have my Maths A-Level. :smile:

I think that the 3 sciences and maths combo would definitely cover the most options, but is it essential or desirable for me to have Art on an Architecture course?
Reply 11
I think some sort of art subject would be desirable if you want to do a degree in architecture. Why not do civil engineering? It would combine engineering and architecture, although obviously it concentrates on the technical aspects of buildings rather than the actual aesthetics themselves.
redballoons

I think that the 3 sciences and maths combo would definitely cover the most options, but is it essential or desirable for me to have Art on an Architecture course?

I'd say very desirable, sometimes essential.
Artistic ability & creativity however is essential, and you'll probably need a portfolio, for which Art is very useful.
Just depends how badly you want to do it I suppose :wink:
Reply 13
Best bet is to check with individual universities - they will usually be pretty clear on what A-levels they do and don't want you to have.
i would say the main problme you will have is very simply work experience and knowledge of teh field. i applied for medicine this year and getting work experience was not easy. also if its competitive you will need subject related experiences and work exp so make up your mind or you may find you have your choice but a really poor personal statment.
It's a difficult decision because you need chemistry and biology for medicine, maths and physics for engineering and maths and art for architecture, but further maths would be useful for engineering, so really all those subjects would be great, but obviously 6 AS levels would be far too many. I'd suggest having a look at the requirements of unis you might want to go to for engineering and architecture and see how necessary further maths and art are, then drop one of those accordingly. For example, I think you usually just need a portfolio for architecture, so you could do that in your spare time without taking art A-level.

Latest