The Student Room Group

Macromolecules question, PLEASE HELP.

Can you please help me with the below questions? Or point me in the direction of somewhere I can gain some help in answering them? My learning materials provided with this unit aren't very helpful!

taq1.2.png

Which molecule, a to e:
a) Is one of the monomers which combine to form starch?
b) contain peptide bonds?
c) could be an oil?
d) is one of the molecules that form a triglyceride?

Give a reason for your choice of letter for each one.

TIA!
a) Starch is an energy storage molecule used by plants made up of many glucose monomers. So you're looking for glucose. You can recognise sugars as they are rings so it's D.
b) Peptide bonds are the bonds which form between amino acids to make proteins. Proteins are large molecules which look like folded up chains, so it's A.
c) Oils are triglycerides (molecules made up of glycerol with 3 fatty acids bonded to it). B is a triglyceride- you can recognise the 3 zig-zag chains (the fatty acids) coming off of one other molecule (glycerol).
d) Triglycerides are made up of glycerol and fatty acids. E is glycerol. It's a three carbon molecule with an alcohol group on each carbon.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by sindyscape62
a) Starch is an energy storage molecule used by plants made up of many glucose monomers. So you're looking for glucose. You can recognise sugars as they are rings so it's D.
b) Peptide bonds are the bonds which form between amino acids to make proteins. Proteins are large molecules which look like folded up chains, so it's A.
c) Oils are triglycerides (molecules made up of glycerol with 3 fatty acids bonded to it). B is a triglyceride- you can recognise the 3 zig-zag chains (the fatty acids) coming off of one other molecule (glycerol).
d) Triglycerides are made up of glycerol and fatty acids. E is glycerol. It's a three carbon molecule with an alcohol group on each carbon.

Hope that helps!

You've literally saved my life, thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tracijune
You've literally saved my life
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's hardcore. Who or what was going to kill you if you hadn't got them right?
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Wow, that's hardcore. Who or what was going to kill you if you hadn't got them right?

Myself if I get anything less than a distinction on the unit as a whole! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending