The Student Room Group

Is Jeremy Corbyn a nice guy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbsolutelyHaram
He wanted a kinder politics but has acted like Cersei lannister recently. A lot of his supporters are also nasty and threaten violence

He seems nice, daft but is it an act?

A nicer Kinder politics, which includes threatening people with reselection because they do not agree with him, A nicer kinder politics where he threatens people with phone calls to there parents who love Jeremy because of the Sinn Fein connection
Original post by AlexanderHam
So all journalists are scumbags and politicians are entitled to view them all with contempt? That's the klnd of mindset that people often to apply to all politicians (even though many of them are committed, work very hard and long hours, and are in it because they want to make a difference), lead to the extreme and its logical conclusion, that led to Jo Cox being murdered.

Not all journalists/politicians/lawyers (delete as appropriate) are scum. They're just people. And none of that justifies Corbyn being patronising and contemptuous to journalists who he agreed to be interviewed by. He is a politician, the way politicians can communicate to the general population is by speaking through the media. By treating them with contempt, he treats their readers/viewers with contempt

Is there a short version of this randomly and worryingly relatively-long reply to a quip?
(edited 7 years ago)
Lovely to see plenty of balanced and fact-based opinions on this thread...
Reply 23
Original post by jelly1000
Definitley not. If you want a 'nice guy' Politican in the Labour Party you should be looking at Sadiq Khan, someone who actively reaches out to others, not Corbyn.
Corbyns whole approach to choosing his cabinet was deliberately to reach out to all parts of the Party. They rejected him.
[QUOTE[ My reasons for disliking him are similar to those mentioned above, accepting money from Iran, calling Hamas and Hezbollah his 'friends,' employing Seamus Milne, an IRA supporter He at least likes to hear both sides of any dispute, unlike many politicians who simply shut the door on any resistance to dominance.
taking ages to speak out about anti Semitism in the Labour Party and not acknowleging the full extent of the problem
He was the one who called for the inquiry, The media then latched on to a few out of context remarks, and didn't cover any of the substance of the report.
failing to deliver a strong message to those harrassing other Labour MP's and in fact baying on supporters, some of whom were calling for violence against MP's who didn't support him.
He has continuously spoken out against any harassment. The police are the ones who should be acting on this. The media are exaggerating this to try to smear him.
And now calling for deselection of democratically elected MP's is ridiculous- the election results of the whole electorate should count far more than just that of those registered Labour Party supporters.
It is the PLP who are trying to 'deselect' Corbyn as leader. The MPs were selected by Labour members prior to their election, and would be on any future ballot, and would only be up for reselection if the new Tory boundaries changed their constituencies and would once again be chosen by members. The electorate do not get to choose Party representatives, they only get one from each party to vote for.

He's created a 'Cult of Corbyn' with followers who believe he can do know wrong and cry 'smear campaign' everytime the media dares to be critical about him.
It is widely accepted that he has suffered an excessive amount of media bias against him.
I think the fact so many of his MP's voted no confidence in him suggests its a lot more than that given they have tried to work with him. I'm a Conservative supporter and myself and the other supporters I know don't just follow either the Prime Minister or Party blindly, we recognise when they have gone wrong.
The PLP aren't saying he has done anything wrong, they are saying they don't think he can win an election. Conservatives members nor MPs didn't even get to choose their leader, how democratic is that?
He listens to the working classes and doesn't want to start more wars with the middle east. He's something we need a lot more of in British politics.
Original post by Aliccam

He has continuously spoken out against any harassment. The police are the ones who should be acting on this. The media are exaggerating this to try to smear him.

You don't seem to understand his strategy. Of course he occasionally speaks out against harassment; he has to. What he then does is goes into a room with his supporters and has a conversation which goes along the lines of:

Corbyn: Do you think they bought it?

Chief bully: Of course! They are stupid.

Corbyn: I was able to claim the brick could have been a burglary attempt.

Chief bully: Well, I don't think they bought that one, but never mind.

Corbyn: Have a word with the idiot who shouted "It was only one brick", won't you?

Chief bully: Good point! That was a faux pas. We certainly want people to have some doubts it could have been us.

Corbyn: Very well, carry on, and try and put a bit more pressure on Khan to at least not support Smith in the election. Tell him he won't be re-nominated for the next mayoral election if he does support Smith. See if we can't get a few eggs thrown at him, or some bacon slices.

I'm off to dry Angela Eagle's eyes and show her how sympathetic I am. It's a pity the boys didn't find anything incriminating when they broke in - make sure they search more closely next time, won't you?

Chief bully: Of course! See you later. I'm off to get more union chaps involved in the heavy stuff.

Corbyn: Great! Bye.
Reply 26
Original post by Good bloke
You don't seem to understand his strategy. Of course he occasionally speaks out against harassment; he has to. What he then does is goes into a room with his supporters and has a conversation which goes along the lines of:

Corbyn: Do you think they bought it?

Chief bully: Of course! They are stupid.

Corbyn: I was able to claim the brick could have been a burglary attempt.

Chief bully: Well, I don't think they bought that one, but never mind.

Corbyn: Have a word with the idiot who shouted "It was only one brick", won't you?

Chief bully: Good point! That was a faux pas. We certainly want people to have some doubts it could have been us.

Corbyn: Very well, carry on, and try and put a bit more pressure on Khan to at least not support Smith in the election. Tell him he won't be re-nominated for the next mayoral election if he does support Smith. See if we can't get a few eggs thrown at him, or some bacon slices.

I'm off to dry Angela Eagle's eyes and show her how sympathetic I am. It's a pity the boys didn't find anything incriminating when they broke in - make sure they search more closely next time, won't you?

Chief bully: Of course! See you later. I'm off to get more union chaps involved in the heavy stuff.

Corbyn: Great! Bye.
I don't remember seeing you at that meeting, were you the guy in the tie?:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Wayne Kerr
A nicer Kinder politics, which includes threatening people with reselection because they do not agree with him, A nicer kinder politics where he threatens people with phone calls to there parents who love Jeremy because of the Sinn Fein connection

Nice to see all that media effort is not being wasted. So many people seem to be swallowing it.
No he's a wasteman
He wanted a kinder politics but has acted like Cersei lannister recently. A lot of his supporters are also nasty and threaten violence

@JamieLannister perhaps you could stop engaging in incest with your sister, and replace her with Corbyn?
Probably nice from Argentina's perspective.
Corbyn is great. The people who say otherwise have no idea what they're talking about. I actually feel sorry for them. They lack critical thinking skills.
Original post by Barack Obama
Corbyn is great. The people who say otherwise have no idea what they're talking about. I actually feel sorry for them. They lack critical thinking skills.

You do realise that comment is pretty much a conclusive confirmation that you yourself are basically brainwashed and utterly lacking in critical thinking skills, right?

Corbyn isn't Cersei, he's the High Sparrow; an irritating, shambolic fanatic who will be dealt with eventually
He strikes me as a very 'I'm right, you're wrong if you don't agree with me' kind of person.

I don't mind people who have strong opinions about things, but I doubt he would be someone willing to 'agree to disagree' at the end of a heated debate.

He's probably a nice guy if you happen to be a Palestinian...
I cannot stand for his politics and disagree with almost all of his policies and would never vote for him in a billion billion years. Having said that, I respect him as a person and a politician. I don't like how disrespectful he has been at certain times but at least he is honest with who he is and what he stands for. That's a very rare trait these days in politics. He's similar to Nigel Farage in that he means what he says and says what he means.
Original post by AlexanderHam
You can also see every time he's interviewed, he adopts this really patronising, irritable tone that suggests he's barely keeping his anger under control. It's clear he views the journalists with contempt and the tone of his answers really says, "How stupid you are for asking me that". He views people who don't agree with him as traitors and scum.

You've touched on one of the fundamental flaws in Corbyn's assessment of the modern political arena. But I don't think that it's because he views them as scum. Rather, he genuinely believes that the way the media works and the way politics works is beneath his own so-called 'civility'. The thing is, this isn't an effective position to take in the slightest, aside from wooing over certain leftists (not all encompassing).

One prime example of this was his critique of 'theatrics' in the house of commons, portraying it as something puerile. Well, if you're going to provide some effective critique of modern politics, don't criticise the 'theatrics'; take fire at the 'theatre' itself. What he really needs to do is use the system of politics that benefits the Tories against them. When Theresa May spoke up in parliament and sarcastically questioned Corbyn, "A boss who doesn't listen to his workers...remind him of anybody?" he needs to come back at her with some commentary on her almost Lady Bracknell-esque manner of conducting herself. Problem is, he just doesn't have the intellectual capacity to do that.

Whether he's a nice person or not I don't know. But he's not an effective politician in my opinion because he just can't play the game as it were. Instead he speaks in platitudes without offering his thoughts on why the rules are ridiculous.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
every politician seems nice but are usually c**ts

At least JC doesn't pretend to be perfect
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
He listens to the working classes

Yeah I imagine his views on immigration and Hamas would go down a treat with most working class people,
Reply 39
Original post by Paraphilos
You've touched on one of the fundamental flaws in Corbyn's assessment of the modern political arena. But I don't think that it's because he views them as scum. Rather, he genuinely believes that the way the media works and the way politics works is beneath his own so-called 'civility'. The thing is, this isn't an effective position to take in the slightest, aside from wooing over certain leftists (not all encompassing).

One prime example of this was his critique of 'theatrics' in the house of commons, portraying it as something puerile. Well, if you're going to provide some effective critique of modern politics, don't criticise the 'theatrics'; take fire at the 'theatre' itself. What he really needs to do is use the system of politics that benefits the Tories against them. When Theresa May spoke up in parliament and sarcastically questioned Corbyn, "A boss who doesn't listen to his workers...remind him of anybody?" he needs to come back at her with some commentary on her almost Lady Bracknell-esque manner of conducting herself. Problem is, he just doesn't have the intellectual capacity to do that.

Whether he's a nice person or not I don't know. But he's not an effective politician in my opinion because he just can't play the game as it were. Instead he speaks in platitudes without offering his thoughts on why the rules are ridiculous.

I don't necessarily think he couldn't match his opponents or has contempt for the media, it is more disappointment. He knows they are not really interested in what he has to offer, and are merely interested in entertaining soundbites and sensation. He applies the same thing to the Commons PMQ banter. While his stance of refusing to 'play the game' may take a bit of getting used to, it has been a long time coming. We should not put up with this kind of crap from our journalists or politicians. Journalists should be reporting on the important information, and politicians should be addressing the issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending