The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge Medicine?

Hi guys I'll be applying via UCAS later this year and depending on my AS results will probably include Oxbridge as one of my choices to study Medicine. My dilemma is I have no idea which one to pick-any advice? I'll also put my stats down in case it makes me a stronger candidate to a specific half of Oxbridge.GCSE:9A* and 1A (state school and under extenuating circumstances)AS: to be determined but predicted AAAA (biology, chemistry. maths and physics)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bubbletealover
Hi guys I'll be applying via UCAS later this year and depending on my AS results will probably include Oxbridge as one of my choices to study Medicine. My dilemma is I have no idea which one to pick-any advice?

The courses are more similar than they are different, really. Have a look at the prospectuses for both and see which you like the sound of better. Do bear in mind, though, that their entry requirements are somewhat different - Oxford want a high number AND percentage of A*s at GCSE in order for you to be in with a realistic chance. Cambridge used to use AS UMS in a similar way but now that A-levels have changed it's not quite so clear what they'll be looking at.
I think with those GCSEs Oxford would be safe bet in terms of securing an interview (high percentage with extenuating circumstances and being at a state school will swing the pendulum to your favour) however it really depends on how you find the course itself and obviously your personal preference to which city you like.
Original post by studentsixth
I think with those GCSEs Oxford would be safe bet in terms of securing an interview (high percentage with extenuating circumstances and being at a state school will swing the pendulum to your favour) however it really depends on how you find the course itself and obviously your personal preference to which city you like.

OK thank you for your insight :-)
Comparatively: Cambridge med school is about twice the size. Cambridge has more emphasis on anatomy less on physiology. Oxford's intercalation period is longer (about 15 months) vs Cambridge's standard 1 year. More variety of intercalation options at Cambridge (though the oft cited ability to choose anything you like including law/philosophy/physics is increasingly rare). Oxford you can choose to go to London after 3 years. Oxford you might be forced to go to London after 3 years. Cambridge will likely have more DGH time during clinical. Cambridge has a very short (7 weeks), and pre-finals, elective period.
Original post by nexttime
Comparatively: Cambridge med school is about twice the size. Cambridge has more emphasis on anatomy less on physiology. Oxford's intercalation period is longer (about 15 months) vs Cambridge's standard 1 year. More variety of intercalation options at Cambridge (though the oft cited ability to choose anything you like including law/philosophy/physics is increasingly rare). Oxford you can choose to go to London after 3 years. Oxford you might be forced to go to London after 3 years. Cambridge will likely have more DGH time during clinical. Cambridge has a very short (7 weeks), and pre-finals, elective period.

OK thank you that helps clarify some things up for me.
Original post by nexttime
Cambridge has a very short (7 weeks), and pre-finals, elective period.

Cambridge elective is between 5th year and 6th year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending