The Student Room Group

Working part time during A2?

I have the opportunity to work in retail for one full day a week ( sat/sun) and one day after school for 4-5 hours. Will this affect my school work and should I take it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by HopelessMedic
I have the opportunity to work at Waitrose for one full day a week ( sat/sun) and one day after school for 4-5 hours. Will this affect my school work and should I take it?

Only you know if it will overly affect you. If you need/want the money I'd take the job and them if you feel like you are falling behind quit.
I have the opportunity to work at Waitrose for one full day a week ( sat/sun) and one day after school for 4-5 hours. Will this affect my school work and should I take it?

I've just finished A2 and I have 2 friends who tried to work part time in Waitrose during year 13. One of them ended up earning £1,000 a month! However, both ultimately quit after a few months because it was affecting their studies.
I had people in my collage who worked who were predicted A*'s etc get D's during A2 because work got in the way. The work lode at A2 is bad enough with out a job, if you have a job less social time and study time. Is that extra £50 worth it.
Reply 4
Only do this if necessary, everyone I've ever known to work while they study A2's has had their grade affected by it. That is quite a few people as a lot of people work at my sixth form.
I'm about to start AS (and going by your username, will be studying similar subjects to you) and have just rejected a part time job at Waitrose which had similar hours. I personally think it will be too much and imagine that Year 13 will be especially busy. It's probably best to focus on getting great grades and then maybe working in the summer before uni to get money?
It really depends on which subjects you are taking. I personally would not recommend. It will stress you out eventually and affect your grades.*

I know it would have definitely affected me
Original post by surina16
I'm about to start AS (and going by your username, will be studying similar subjects to you) and have just rejected a part time job at Waitrose which had similar hours. I personally think it will be too much and imagine that Year 13 will be especially busy. It's probably best to focus on getting great grades and then maybe working in the summer before uni to get money?

Yeh ill probably leave working for a while, or maybe try for the first term and then quit if its too much

I worked 12 hours a week in a large retail store (one full sunday 8-5 and one thursday 5-9) from christmas of AS till I went to uni, I just took holidays off for exams (so if my exams fell over 2 weeks I took them off well in advance so I wouldnt have to worry about having an exam the day after a shift).

I studied Bio, Chem, Geog and Maths (but dropped maths at as) and came out with A*AAb respectively, I also volunteered one evening a week (sometimes on saturday) and saw my bf 2 days a week.

Its really about how hard your willing to work around the times your at waitrose, but it is 100% possible. You are the only person that can judge this, so my advice is try it and if it gets to much just hand your notice in!

Quick Reply

Latest