The Student Room Group

How difficult is A-level biology?

I'm not entirely sure on what I want to do in the future and the advice I have been given is to pick at least two 'facilitating subjects'. I've chosen maths but i'm not too sure on whether to choose biology or not.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's a massive amount of content to cover, and also a massive amount of memorisation. If you're good at memorising and you don't mind doing loads of exam practice you will be fine.
easy compared to Chemistry and physics.

The maths in bio is easy, and the content is interesting kinda and if you study then there is no issue memorising.
by facilitating do you biology chem physics or spmeyhing else because if ypu have to pick out of those three biology is the easiest science in my opinion but maths wpuld link more to physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I don't want to sound arsy.. but if you have two eyes you can get an A at A2All it takes is a little bit of memorisation and just learn standard answers. If you read a chapter a week in the text book (and try to get three different text books) and then do 10 past papers it's really nothingPersonally I found it easy and I am no genius, people in my class struggled but that's because they were too lazy to pick up their books.
I hope to get an A* next month and really I learned all the bio on the bus to and fro from school
honestly, if you're considering biology just because you need to take two facilitating subjects - then don't take biology.
history, chem, physics, geography, english literature, and languages are other facilitating subjects that may be preferable.

!! please, please pick a facilitating subject that you would enjoy !!
(edited 7 years ago)
Took Bio/Phys/Chem (AAA*). Personally found Biology the easiest though my chem mark was better ultimately. One thing I will say, though, is that there seems to be a bit of a dichotomy when it comes to Bio/Phys. People who are mathematically minded will often struggle at Bio and vice versa.
It's ok. If u learn it throughout the year itll be fine. If u don't and try to cram, it won't unless ure great at remembering things. I crammed it during AS and A2 before exams and didn't cover everything but that's me. Just learn it consistently throughout the year w/ past papers and ull be sorted :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I didn't understand the content and I had to drop biology after getting a U in the mock ; many others I know got E's at AS So please only pick this if you're good at biology and by that I mean you understand the concepts cause good GCSEs don't mean you're do good . I was getting A*'s in GCSE science but couldn't handle biology alevel so be careful . If you're not sure then pick something else cause it is pretty hard to get an A at alevel just judging by the amount of people in my year dropping out and failing
Reply 9
Original post by 97Y
I don't want to sound arsy.. but if you have two eyes you can get an A at A2All it takes is a little bit of memorisation and just learn standard answers. If you read a chapter a week in the text book (and try to get three different text books) and then do 10 past papers it's really nothingPersonally I found it easy and I am no genius, people in my class struggled but that's because they were too lazy to pick up their books.
I hope to get an A* next month and really I learned all the bio on the bus to and fro from school

let us know if you get your A* dude haha :biggrin:
It's easier than Chemistry and Maths!
Reply 11
Easy as long as you work hard.
Original post by abcharlize
I'm not entirely sure on what I want to do in the future and the advice I have been given is to pick at least two 'facilitating subjects'. I've chosen maths but i'm not too sure on whether to choose biology or not.

In my personal subjective estimation, biology was the easiest of the natural sciences and physics - also because of the mathematical part in it - the most difficult (unless mathematics counts as a natural science in your view). Chemistry was in the middle of those two. **
I know of 4 people who got E's in AS biology
Reply 14
Original post by fefssdf
I know of 4 people who got E's in AS biology

They're very lazy then.
I think it's the easiest of the natural sciences as long as you're ok with the memorization. Bear in mind this is my opinion.
Original post by alow
They're very lazy then.

Yh I think they all just gave up after a while cause a lot of them were doing 4 subjects as well so they just decided they weren't going to bother with biology. I also gave up with bio after getting a U in the Jan mocks but luckily I was doing 5 subjects at the time so still ended up with AAAB at AS thank god
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I think it's the easiest of the natural sciences as long as you're ok with the memorization. Bear in mind this is my opinion.

Yeah, that is what the majority says about this subject: being good in memorization and everything will be fine. Don't think so. If I consider that the terms and the teachings have to be regarded in relationships to each other, memorization is not enough being good at A level. Students need a good understanding for that, especially to transfer the knowledge to the assignments in exams. I would say that a basic interest in this subject is required. **
A Level Biology covers much more details and content, unlike GCSEs which just had little random facts. There is also more calculation questions involved - which is good news if you do Maths. Like the other science subjects, you'll need to get grips with quite a few theories and concepts. However, if you have a genuine interest in Biology, you won't find the subject such a drudgery!
Original post by abcharlize

I am not going to lie to you but biology at a level is extremely difficult especially the AQA exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending