The Student Room Group

I've been having pains in my knees after/during running?

I used to go spin classes, and I am hoping to go back at the latest by mid September, but until then I need other cardio workouts.I decided to go running (since working out at home isn't really an option rn), however I've been having problems with my knees ever since I started running, and I really don't understand why? I really don't want to give up exercise until September, so is there any solution to this?
It's quite a high impact activity as far as the knees are concerned. If it's giving you problems you could try knee supports, if you're still experiencing pain then only solution is to find a different activity I'm afraid.
What sort of pain? Where? Is it worse when you do certain movements, put weight on it etc? How long have you had the pain? Does RICE work? Be careful with any advice you get from the internet, probably best to make an appointment with a physio.
Reply 3
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's quite a high impact activity as far as the knees are concerned. If it's giving you problems you could try knee supports, if you're still experiencing pain then only solution is to find a different activity I'm afraid.

Ah okay :/ I think I might just stick to light jogging and weight training until then.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
What sort of pain? Where? Is it worse when you do certain movements, put weight on it etc? How long have you had the pain? Does RICE work? Be careful with any advice you get from the internet, probably best to make an appointment with a physio.

I don't know how to describe the pain. It feels like my knee is going to give up any minute, if that makes sense?
If I bend my knees for more than a few minutes they do start to hurt more, and I do find it hard to things like squats and lunges.
The pain comes and goes; it's there most of the time, but it hurts more after running.
I don't know what RICE is :redface:
Get a doctor to refer you to a physio.
Original post by drowzee
I used to go spin classes, and I am hoping to go back at the latest by mid September, but until then I need other cardio workouts.I decided to go running (since working out at home isn't really an option rn), however I've been having problems with my knees ever since I started running, and I really don't understand why? I really don't want to give up exercise until September, so is there any solution to this?

Why not Pokemon Go for cardio. :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Why not Pokemon Go for cardio. :lol:

I'm too fit for Pokémon go... I need something more intense :colondollar:
Read or watch a running guide. You're probably putting the pressure on your heel when you land, you want it on the balls of your feet. Also keep your lower back taut and lean forward for maximum energy conservation. Yeah a video would be the best thing rn, or get a friend who runs well to critique you
Original post by drowzee

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation :smile:
Original post by drowzee

The solution is to catch more drowzees.
Original post by drowzee
I don't know how to describe the pain. It feels like my knee is going to give up any minute, if that makes sense?
If I bend my knees for more than a few minutes they do start to hurt more, and I do find it hard to things like squats and lunges.
The pain comes and goes; it's there most of the time, but it hurts more after running.

Hmm, you could have what I have- which is maltracking which causes inflammation in your knee.Get a physio appointment straight away though because none of us here are experts(well, I'm definitely not). Try stretching your muscles out more, if they are tight they tend to put more pressure on your knee.
Reply 12
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Hmm, you could have what I have- which is maltracking which causes inflammation in your knee.Get a physio appointment straight away though because none of us here are experts(well, I'm definitely not). Try stretching your muscles out more, if they are tight they tend to put more pressure on your knee.

I've booked an appointment with a physio, but I definitely don't do enough stretching. Thanks! :smile:
Do you run on concrete or track?
I had knee tracking issues due to tight hip muscles. If you do enough different stretches you'll probably find the right one but a Physio can save you a lot of time(and pain:smile:).
Reply 15
Agree with what someone said above, it depends on how you run. If you're a heel striker, you might be exposing your knees to a higher impact! Perhaps, try swimming out if you want something less intense on the knees and joints! :smile: Good luck!
If you're knees are hurting, maybe you've tried to do too much too soon and you should try to reduce the distance / regularity of your runs. Knee problems are common with runners (I suffer with it myself). Stretching out the hamstrings and quads helps, as well as doing strengthening exercises such as squats. But if it keeps bothering you, maybe try some other lower impact sports such as swimming or cycling which also improve cardio fitness.
physio is your way forward - I had pain in my knees running twice, once as a result of runners knee (due to weak quads) and one as a result of ITB friction (due to weak hip flexors/overdeveloped quads), it's also possible to get some pains when you start running just because your bones aren't used to the impact but a physio will be able to give you some proper guidance on how to keep running safely
Running is definitely not good for your bones. Avoid running on hard surfaces as much as possible. Build up your leg muscles via weightlifting as your muscles support your joints and make sure you have some really good running shoes! Then there's appropriate stretches too.

And as the above fella said try to run more on the centre/ball of your foot than your heel landing first.

Quick Reply

Latest