The Student Room Group

I'm sick of looking pregnant when I'm not

I honestly look 5 months pregnant. I'm not fat, I have a BMI of 21 and wear size 10 clothes. I still have small waist of 26 inches but immediately after that my stomach is so bloated I bet people would give up their seats for me on a bus. I do weights 3x a week and run 5k twice a week. I eat healthy, yes I have the odd big meal or takeaway but who doesn't? Doesn't seem fair I have this massive belly. In the mornings it's not so bad and if I haven't eaten much for a few days it goes right down - in fact I have the outlines of muscles when it's not bloated out. I've tried cutting out carbs, gluten, dairy , taking probiotics, laxatives, waist trainers... Nothing works. I can't wear nice things, I have to wear loose clothes and anything that skims my stomach. I honestly feel I would be most comfortable in maternity clothing. It's really getting me down.*
Original post by Anonymous
I honestly look 5 months pregnant. I'm not fat, I have a BMI of 21 and wear size 10 clothes. I still have small waist of 26 inches but immediately after that my stomach is so bloated I bet people would give up their seats for me on a bus. I do weights 3x a week and run 5k twice a week. I eat healthy, yes I have the odd big meal or takeaway but who doesn't? Doesn't seem fair I have this massive belly. In the mornings it's not so bad and if I haven't eaten much for a few days it goes right down - in fact I have the outlines of muscles when it's not bloated out. I've tried cutting out carbs, gluten, dairy , taking probiotics, laxatives, waist trainers... Nothing works. I can't wear nice things, I have to wear loose clothes and anything that skims my stomach. I honestly feel I would be most comfortable in maternity clothing. It's really getting me down.*

Definetly go see a gp, it could be a hormonal or an allergy or countless other things.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Definetly go see a gp, it could be a hormonal or an allergy or countless other things.

I feel embarrassed, they will just tell me to eat healthily etc. Plus my GP has a 4 week wait for appointments and I'd feel guilty for taking one away from someone who needs them.*
I feel embarrassed, they will just tell me to eat healthily etc. Plus my GP has a 4 week wait for appointments and I'd feel guilty for taking one away from someone who needs them.*

This is clearly affecting your self esteem and if you make it clear what lengths you ve gone to so far a decent health professional won't tell you that you need to eat healthier . Maybe get an appointment with a practice nurse if there's none with a gp. It could even be down to a medication side effect which would be something a doctor would be concerned about.
if you're not experiencing pain and it's not constant I doubt it's serious but I would still see your GP (I guarantee you people are going for less!) as it might be a food ellergy or IBS or gas or something that is easily fixed
GP.

You need it as much as anyone else if it's affecting your life.

Maybe start tracking your calories to see how much you eat exactly using myfitnesspal
If you post a pic sideways on it will help us to help you. You could have anterior pelvic tilt which can result in the abdominals 'sticking out' more and an increased curve in the lower back.

I'd suggest seeing a doctor, because there may be an underlying issue as to why you're bloating so much. If it's due to water retention, there are some things that you can do to reduce the bloat slightly (I do this a lot because I have IBS, so I'm almost always bloated) - drink plenty of water, try something like nettle tea, it makes you wee more ut thats how it gets unnecessary water out of your system.

I too would recommend that you visit a GP because either:

A) You are suffering from a physical underlying condition which could be solved by a change in diet or possibly taking medication.

or, which is more likely

B) You are suffering from body dismorphia. In which case, your GP will be able to put you on the list to see a therapist.

Either way, if it is causing you this much misery you need to sort it. Don't feel as though it isn't serious enough to visit your GP. That is what they are there for.
Reply 9
Original post by Platopus
I too would recommend that you visit a GP because either:

A) You are suffering from a physical underlying condition which could be solved by a change in diet or possibly taking medication.

or, which is more likely

B) You are suffering from body dismorphia. In which case, your GP will be able to put you on the list to see a therapist.

Either way, if it is causing you this much misery you need to sort it. Don't feel as though it isn't serious enough to visit your GP. That is what they are there for.

thanks. I've made a few changes so hopefully I'll see some results.i really don't have body dysmorphia - everyone I've shown agrees my stomach sticks out to an abnormal degree for my size. I've been asked if I'm pregnant twice.*
Reply 10
download FItatu free calorie counter and write down what you eat - you can check, maybe you eat sth that causes permanent bloat or sth like that?

Quick Reply

Latest