The Student Room Group

fp1 complex numbers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timebent
not sure if the method i used is called factor theorem or inspection
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Further-Maths/Further-Maths-FP1/2012-January/paper.php#Q5
but for this question if it gives me one complex number and there's 3 roots then i know it's got to be a pair

and i used inspection or factor theorem or whatever it's called and tried 2 and got lucky so where would i get my marks assuming that this is my working

z2=3iz_2 =3-i because it has a pair

let z38z2+22z20=f(z)z^3 -8z^2 +22z-20=f(z)

f(2)=8-32+44-20=0

therefore z=2 thus z-2 is a factor

It's called the factor theorem. I'm guessing what you could've done if you finished Chapter 1 you'd know this - solve a cubic equation. Find the quadratic equation which has the roots 3 + i and 3 - i.
Then, just do z-a or a variable and work out a by comparing the coefficients.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Further-Maths/Further-Maths-FP1/2012-January/paper.php#Q5
but for this question if it gives me one complex number and there's 3 roots then i know it's got to be a pair

and i used inspection or factor theorem or whatever it's called and tried 2 and got lucky so where would i get my marks assuming that this is my working

f(2)=8-32+44-20=0

Try the method I posted. If you manage to find the quadratic equation which has the complex roots 3 +/- i, then I give you the next hint if you struggle to find the answer using my method.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Also, according to the mark scheme you'd get full marks using factor theorem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83

f(2)=8-32+44-20=0

You have to justify it a bit better, z2=3i z_2 = 3-i because all of the coefficient of the cubic are real. For polynomials with real coefficients if the complex number w w is a root, then so is its complex conjugate w w^* .
The more formal way to find the real root is to recognise that (z(3i))(z(3+i)) (z-(3-i))(z-(3+i)) is a factor of the cubic. If you expand this product out you will get a real quadratic factor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Chittesh14
It's called the factor theorem. I'm guessing what you could've done if you finished Chapter 1 you'd know this - solve a cubic equation. Find the quadratic equation which has the roots 3 + i and 3 - i.
Then, just do z-a or a variable and work out a by comparing the coefficients.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try the method I posted. If you manage to find the quadratic equation which has the complex roots 3 +/- i, then I give you the next hint if you struggle to find the answer using my method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, according to the mark scheme you'd get full marks using factor theorem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome thanks
Original post by B_9710
You have to justify it a bit better, z2=3i z_2 = 3-i because all of the coefficient of the cubic are real. For polynomials with real coefficients if the complex number w w is a root, then so is its complex conjugate w w^* .
The more formal way to find the real root is to recognise that (z(3i))(z(3+i)) (z-(3-i))(z-(3+i)) is a factor of the cubic. If you expand this product out you will get a real quadratic factor.

ah i see, so if the coefficient of the cubic are real then if Z1 is a root so is its conjugate?
Awesome thanks

ah i see, so if the coefficient of the cubic are real then if Z1 is a root so is its conjugate?

Yeah, that's right.

A cubic equation can have:

Either; all three roots as real
Or, one root is real and the other two roots form a complex conjugate pair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome thanks

Also, I'm not sure if you tried my method. But, here is how I'd have done it:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469220402.561607.jpg

First thing (if you're confused) - I worked out the quadratic equation which has those complex roots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Awesome thanks

Yes.
Original post by B_9710
Yes.

Help please.

Part (b)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469223206.557464.jpg

I've come to so many equations and if I check the answer and sub he values, they all work. But, I can't get to the actual answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Also, I'm not sure if you tried my method. But, here is how I'd have done it:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469220402.561607.jpg

First thing (if you're confused) - I worked out the quadratic equation which has those complex roots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm i'll have a look tomorrow i think i know what you've done
Original post by B_9710
Yes.

awesome thanks :biggrin:
Reply 90
Help please.

Part (b)

I've come to so many equations and if I check the answer and sub he values, they all work. But, I can't get to the actual answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Part a?
Original post by B_9710
Part a?

Part (b)
hmm i'll have a look tomorrow i think i know what you've done

awesome thanks :biggrin:

Okay :P.
Reply 93
Part (b)

It's just simultaneous equations.
You have z=p3q+(3p+q)i z= p-3q +(3p+q)i and p+2q=0 p+2q=0 .
It says that the modulus of z z is 102 10\sqrt 2 . So it's just Pythagoras. If you have a complex number a+bi a+bi then it's modulus is a2+b2 \sqrt{a^2+b^2} .
Original post by B_9710
It's just simultaneous equations.
You have z=p3q+(3p+q)i z= p-3q +(3p+q)i and p+2q=0 p+2q=0 .
It says that the modulus of z z is 102 10\sqrt 2 . So it's just Pythagoras. If you have a complex number a+bi a+bi then it's modulus is a2+b2 \sqrt{a^2+b^2} .

I know, I did that 100 times. Idk why I'm getting it wrong. Maybe I got the values of z wrong (other way round).
Reply 95
I know, I did that 100 times. Idk why I'm getting it wrong. Maybe I got the values of z wrong (other way round).

How about you take a picture of your workings and maybe we can see where you keep making the mistakes?
Original post by Devify
How about you take a picture of your workings and maybe we can see where you keep making the mistakes?

Yeah tomorrow, I'm too busy playing games.. lol.
I'll probably see my mistake tomorrow morning anyway somehow.
If not, I'll be mad and post it here, hoping for satisfaction.
Reply 97
Help please.

Part (b)

Posted from TSR Mobile

how does one do part A???
how does one do part A???

I'll explain that once I get out of bed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
I'll explain that once I get out of bed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

how late u getting up xD

Quick Reply