The Student Room Group

Turkey suspends human rights

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TelAviv
'but meh democricy'

"YEAAAH, DEMOCRACY WON! WOO! GO DEMOCRACY! COUP WAS DEFEATED YAY FREEDOM!"

You a know a tyrant is going to tyrannise when a military take-over is defeated and you feel deep overriding dread and concern at said defeat.
Original post by Zamestaneh
What has the Mardin and Dersim massacres got to do with Erdogan - the Mardin Massacre wasn't perpetrated by the state, and the Dersim Massacre was committed in the 30's... I haven't heard any claims about the generals being tortured.

That article hardly implicates Turkey

Scratch Dersim, I copied and pasted wrong name. Cizre massacre was the one I meant to copy and paste.

Many have stated that the village guards were the perpetrators of the Mardin massacre, and the village guards are a group which was funded, armed and trained by the Turkish government. So the Turkish government is responsible for massacres that occur from a group which they directly funded, armed and trained. Not to mention that Turkey was still continuing to fund and arm village guards in Kurdish provinces at the time of the Mardin massacre. As for the Cizre massacre, the Turkish government forces were directly responsible.

It is quite obvious that oil from Syria is going to Turkey, and thus money from Turkey is going to ISIS. It is clear then that Turkey is turning a blind eye to this, and this is allowing ISIS to prop itself up. Any government serious in tackling ISIS would take action in preventing such funding of ISIS.
Reply 42
Original post by Zamestaneh
On paper, Turkey is almost completely Muslim, whereas only 59.5% of the UK is Christian, so 'elevating Muslims' is elevating the majority of the population, whereas to impose Christianity would be against 40.5% of Britain. In any case, I have already stated on other threads in the past that if living as a Muslim got difficult here I would move abroad, and I have no issue with that - I wouldn't instigate a coup or a rebellion.

And the higher majority means suppressing others is okay? Are you joking me?

Yes, it's easy to say that when you're enjoying all the freedoms the UK is giving you. Try living in s*itholes where drinking during ramadan can get you beaten by those peaceful people of Turkey. It's not as easy you know for people to just move abroad.

And what is truly disgusting is that you actively support the neo-tyrant Erdogan. Get lost.
Reply 43
Original post by Gladiatorsword
I dont usually follow turkish news and politics much but may i ask 3 things?
Whilst perhaps increasing religiosity, how has erdogan encouraged persecution of minorities?
If turkey has vowed to fight against isis? Why would they support them financiallý? Where's the proof
Name some of erdogans worst policies he's enforced

Posted from TSR Mobile

By definition, when you fervently make the country more religious, you give encourage the religious majority to be harsher too (go on youtube - there's a video of a bunch of apes attacking others because they drunk during ramadan). It's essentially what happened with Brexit and those carrying out all the attacks.

But it's not just that - he asked for prosecution of the germ comedian, he actively jailed those who dare criticise him and essentially silenced all media. Let's also not forget the Kurds. Is that you definition of working well?

Turkey has signed the ECHR too but they violate it all the time - what's your point? Obviously vowing to do something to be the good boy to others doesn't mean you are actually doing it. Indeed, there's no concrete info of the rumours (by Russia) that they bought ISIS oil, but I would not be surprised at all.

Firstly, the sacking of about 30k state workers - that was just a few hours after the coup mind you - I wonder how they managed to compile the name of those who plotted against him so quickly.

The continuation of the war with the Kurds - the only ones actually fighting ISIS.

The allocation of power to a role which is mostly ceremonial in Turkey.

The building of a lavish palace in a country which is relatively poor.

These are just a few of the very many - you shouldn't look at specific policies or decision however. Look at the country as a whole.
Original post by Yellow 03
Well, let's just say that the masks are off now. Turkey was never a democracy. It was the military which was attempting to maintain and restore basic democratic institutions and some form of secular state, through successive coups since the 60s - almost one every decade. Erdogan has now given himself free licence to regress the country back to an authoritarian islamic state.

I agree with the regime becoming more authoritarian,but how so 'islamic?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Gladiatorsword
I agree with the regime becoming more authoritarian,but how so 'islamic?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erdogan's political background is strongly religious and before he became President he was convicted for inciting hatred over religious differences (as a Mayor of Istanbul then), after which he tried not to openly advocate Islamist politics. The generals did have (paradoxically) some influence in defending secularism in Turkey then. As Erdogan gained more and more power in the last few years, a possible Islamist agenda started to leak: Earlier this year his confidant and senior member in Erdogan's party said in Parliament that Turkey needs Islamic laws since it is a Muslim country. Erdogan and his party backtracked after protests by secularists, but the concerns that this is Erdogan's long term plan were never allayed. Now that the balancing influence of the generals is gone I'm not sure whether there are enough powerful voices to defend secularism in Turkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending