The Student Room Group

Turkey suspends human rights

Turkey has just suspended the European Convention on Human Rights following the attempted coup.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-coup-attempt-human-rights-president-erdogan-purge-turkish-military-a7148166.html

This cannot end well... I wonder what the response of the West will be.

Scroll to see replies

'but meh democricy'
Reply 2
Of all the things we should be concerned about involving Turkey, this is pretty far down the list. The ECHR Human Rights Act has a clause that dictates the correct course of action is to partially or wholly suspend the act in case of a national emergency or period of major unrest. France itself has done the same thing since the Paris attacks at the end of 2015.
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
Of all the things we should be concerned about involving Turkey, this is pretty far down the list. The ECHR Human Rights Act has a clause that dictates the correct course of action is to partially or wholly suspend the act in case of a national emergency or period of major unrest. France itself has done the same thing since the Paris attacks at the end of 2015.

I know, but I think that the context within which this is happening in Turkey is a lot more dangerous. Erdogan has been orchestrating an increasingly authoritarian regime in the last 2-3 years with more and more powers handed over to himself. The attempted coup gave him an even stronger lever to eliminate those he perceived as obstacles in his path. Suspending the convention of human rights in this context is a big red flag.
Just leave 'em to it. Close off transport routes so people can't come from there, and stop interfering.
Reply 5
I honestly don't care anymore. Just cease talks of Turkish accession to the EU and be done with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Looks like turkey isn't joining the EU.
Original post by Yellow 03
Turkey has just suspended the European Convention on Human Rights following the attempted coup.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-coup-attempt-human-rights-president-erdogan-purge-turkish-military-a7148166.html

Were there human rights in Turkey before?
Reply 8

Bending over as usual.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ODES_PDES
Were there human rights in Turkey before?

Well, let's just say that the masks are off now. Turkey was never a democracy. It was the military which was attempting to maintain and restore basic democratic institutions and some form of secular state, through successive coups since the 60s - almost one every decade. Erdogan has now given himself free licence to regress the country back to an authoritarian islamic state.
Reply 10
Original post by Josb
Bending over as usual.

Yeah... :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by TercioOfParma
Looks like turkey isn't joining the EU.

Yes, if there was ever a doubt, this is now gone. Erdogan does not seem to care in the slightest about his status in Europe. He is fantasising about the return of the Ottoman Empire.
Yes, if there was ever a doubt, this is now gone. Erdogan does not seem to care in the slightest about his status in Europe. He is fantasising about the return of the Ottoman Empire.

If he genuinely thinks he can rebuild the ottoman empire he needs to pop some Xanax.
Reply 13
If he genuinely thinks he can rebuild the ottoman empire he needs to pop some Xanax.

I tend to agree with you, but a lot of things have happened in the world in the last 12 months that I never thought would happen so who knows...!

This is an interesting article that analyses Erdogan's public speech in May last year where he apparently called for the "conquest of Europe by Islam through emigration".

http://newobserveronline.com/erdogan-return-ottoman-empire/
I tend to agree with you, but a lot of things have happened in the world in the last 12 months that I never thought would happen so who knows...!

This is an interesting article that analyses Erdogan's public speech in May last year where he apparently called for the "conquest of Europe by Islam through emigration".

http://newobserveronline.com/erdogan-return-ottoman-empire/

Christ. Still, I find the idea of him waltzing into armenia with a turkish army very far fetched.
Reply 15
The government had obviously prepared some lists long before the coup; you can't decide to fire 50,000 state employees like that. It more and more looks that they staged the coup in advance.
Reply 16
Christ. Still, I find the idea of him waltzing into armenia with a turkish army very far fetched.

Russia won't let this happen. NATO won't move for Erdogan.
Original post by Josb
Russia won't let this happen. NATO won't move for Erdogan.

Exactly,
Looks like Turkey is ironically in need of a coup d'etat
Erodgan or whatever his name is, knows he can get away with this. Otherwise he can just let all the migrants walk to Europe through an open border lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending