The Student Room Group

How much of a medicine Personal Statement should be academic?

How much should be academic, and how much should be about my work experience/ voluntary work roughly? I am also going to be considering Cambridge and I have heard they prefer more academia than other stuff, is this true of medicine applicants as well?
Most of your statement should be about your work experience and voluntary work that shows that you know what being a good doctor is about, what skills are required and what you've done to develop them and learn about the profession. You can have a para about academic stuff but remember to make it about your interest in medicine and your application to study to be a doctor.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Most of your statement should be about your work experience and voluntary work that shows that you know what being a good doctor is about, what skills are required and what you've done to develop them and learn about the profession. You can have a para about academic stuff but remember to make it about your interest in medicine and your application to study to be a doctor.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Moodicrus
How much should be academic, and how much should be about my work experience/ voluntary work roughly? I am also going to be considering Cambridge and I have heard they prefer more academia than other stuff, is this true of medicine applicants aswell?

Hi Moodicrus

Hoping we can offer some advice on this! You're right in that it's tricky to strike the right balance between academics + a "standard personal statement". Since you'll need to fill in the SAQ for Cambridge anyway, you can provide the university more information about your academic background there.

In general, its a good idea to only tailor your statement to a particular university slightly e.g. a quick sentence or two on a piece of academic research or extra reading rather than great chunks of your statement.

In general, the vast majority of your medical personal statement should be dedicated to demonstrating to universities why you're a good choice for medicine i.e. motivation for the subject, work experience etc.

Getting the balance between sections correct is really important as it can really change the overall message of your personal statement.

We have a video which you might be interested in watching as it covers this exact subject.

Let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending