The Student Room Group

Dentistry Personal Statement First Sentence!

Hi, I'm writing my personal statement at the moment, and although I have most of the middle done, I just don't know how to start it!
What kind of thing are you supposed to say in the first sentence/first paragraph?

Original post by katewyncoll38
Hi, I'm writing my personal statement at the moment, and although I have most of the middle done, I just don't know how to start it!
What kind of thing are you supposed to say in the first sentence/first paragraph?

Hi katewyncoll

Starting your personal statement is often the hardest part! A good way to begin is with a list. Once you have a list, you can develop that into a first draft, then once you have a first draft you have something that you can redraft. Before you know it, you'll have written a brilliant personal statement.

Do bear in mind the balance of your personal statement as it can really change the message of the whole thing. Although there aren't any set rules, it is definitely worth thinking carefully about the balance between sections.

You should have a look at this blog which has our top tips for writing your PS, including a guide for getting the balance between sections just right.

Your personal statement is a fantastic opportunity to stand out from the crowd, just make sure that you stand out for the right reasons!

Do give me a shout if you if you have any questions I can answer.

I hope that helps.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest