The Student Room Group

Anyone who's studying abroad in USA: vaccine/immunization help

Hi,

Just a question for anyone from the UK studying/ going to study in the US, did anyone have to get a TDap vaccination before going? Apparently the TD booster we recieve in the UK isn't good enough and US colleges require an adult dose of TDap.

I went to see a nurse at the doctors and she said I shouldn't need it, but the immunization form from the college I'm going to (Towson University) says otherwise... I've tried emailing my vaccine records to the uni but their health center is closed over summer so that's no help.

Anyone in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by EnriqueShockwave
Hi,

Just a question for anyone from the UK studying/ going to study in the US, did anyone have to get a TDap vaccination before going? Apparently the TD booster we recieve in the UK isn't good enough and US colleges require an adult dose of TDap.

I went to see a nurse at the doctors and she said I shouldn't need it, but the immunization form from the college I'm going to (Towson University) says otherwise... I've tried emailing my vaccine records to the uni but their health center is closed over summer so that's no help.

I'm studying in California for a year and I haven't had that but I've had, a tetanus jab which was 'Diphtheria, Tetanus and inactivated polio' and then I also had a Meningitis vaccine.
I've just realised my form said 'Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis' but then it says '(DPT, Dtap, DT, Td, Tdap)'. So idk?I didn't realise there was a difference, my nurse didn't say anything and I've already sent it to them. I haven't received any complaints back.Surely, if you at least have had one version it doesn't matter that much? If possible you could get it when you get there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EnriqueShockwave

Hey,

I studied abroad in California, and am on a placement there just now, and neither times have I been informed about getting any injections. This may be region specific, university specific or exchange program specific. I know many people who studied abroad to the US, and I've never heard of anyone needing a vaccination or immunization.

Your best bet would be to email the university directly and ask if it's mandatory, or just suggested. Also talk to your home university, as they should have information on this if it's happened before.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending