The Student Room Group

What did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amelia76
AW hopefully you did great, and how did you revise for psychology. And for bio did you just have trouble to remember everything?

Yeah I'm terrible at memorising things :tongue: I'd study one essay and memorise it but forget it by the time I'd memorised the next one. For psychology I studied by condensing an essay down to note form then condensing even further to a few points. I also practiced writing under timed conditions (not enough practice tho be I didn't finish in time). For bio I just did past paper questions and used my cgp revision book. However I wish I didn't do this as the revision book is very brief. I should have used my notes and used the revision book for going over the topics closer to exams!
I did Chemistry, English Lit, Product Design and Business at AS-Level.

In terms of difficulty English Lit and Chemistry are probably joint first purely because in terms of exams English is really difficult to meet all of the AOs the exam board want you to meet in only 1.5 hours. Chemistry was really difficult because if there was something I didn't get it didn't improve my understanding no matter how much I looked at it and practised. I'm dropping it for A2, guess I just don't have an aptitude for science
😂
Reply 42
Original post by Babs Posh
I've just finished Year 12 and I'm taking Maths, History, Politics and English Literature (which I'm hoping to drop, dependent on grades :s-smilie:).

I find History the hardest, followed very closely by English Lit. The amount of content you need to remember for History is ridiculous, and the timing of the exam isn't on your side.

It didn't help me that because I knew I wasn't sitting a History exam at the end of Year 12, I abandoned the whole subject and now have nothing to show for the year... I'm having a fun summer so far :wink: I found English Lit hard purely because I'm not naturally good at it and I hate the subject sooo

You must be really good at maths to not even consider maths as one of your hard subjects.:biggrin:
Original post by nexttime
The requirements aren't different for internationals. If you are applying for the UK, then only Cambridge requires 3 sciences.

No!!! I m not applying fr UK and I m continuing in edexcel fr A levels....:smile:
Reply 44
Yes very useful indeed, thank you so much.
Reply 45
Original post by Sacred Ground
For each subject - make rough notes during the lesson, go home and write or type these notes up on an evening. Start in September! Keep all neat notes in separate notebooks.

Biology - study mark schemes intensely, learn what questions are asking for because it's easy to go off on a tangent and write irrelevant nonsense

Chemistry - make a small booklet of key terms / mechanisms

Psychology - condense experiments into your own words in short succinct paragraphs. Recite the facts/figures whenever you have spare time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much very useful!!
yeah i heard it is very time consuming. By the way how did you revise for psychology.

I just shortened each main topic into a couple of pages of notes. I learnt the main studies of by heart and the smaller scale studies knew them briefly. Doing the past paper questions was really useful too!
I did maths, psychology, and English language, and further maths ( dropped after AS)

I personally found English language the hardest as I struggled with exam technique and I found it difficult to revise given the AS exam is pretty random in terms of the type of text you're given to analyse. My teacher at A2 was also pretty useless for the most part and so I had to use someone else's notes from TSR and a PowerPoint I got from TES to teach myself the content and to also revise, and I shall find out in August how well my own techniques and resources worked -_- also there's the concern of subjective marking and potentially losing out on a good grade cause of a harsh marker so that creates more worry. My other subjects I found decent as I felt that if I put the hours in then it would be fine and psychology especially just involved me mentoring 21 essays in order to regurgitate them in the exam and this is what I did ; I just wrote out answers from memeorhnword- for word so the A2 exams themselves required little thought
Original post by Rajive
You must be really good at maths to not even consider maths as one of your hard subjects.:biggrin:

Hahaha I think I did well in my exams but I struggled throughout the year, didn't put the work in :tongue:

Also it's not an essay subjects and the exam timings are quite good (in comparison) so it's less stressful for me!
What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?

Critical Thinking
Economics
English Literature
History
Japanese
EPQ

I thought Japanese was the hardest because of the sheer amount of content you had to learn in a year, so I dropped it after AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest