The Student Room Group

Women who breastfeed in the House of Commons chamber.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Its a non issue. Firstly the house will love to show it is such contemporary liberal equal opportunity minded establishment, even if it's not. Then since boobs are exploited in all sort of questionable ways that no one blinks an eyelid about, why not whop a tit out to feed your baby.
Reply 41
Meh. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Original post by The Roast
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/22/women-who-breastfeed-in-the-house-of-commons-chamber-are-exhibit/

This is frankly absurd.

Away from the "women breastfeed - get over it" argument put forward by the late Jo Cox MP, in such a professional environment it is beyond a lack of decency.

Although I wouldn't personally call it "exhibitionist" or "voyeuristic", it surely is something that should be in more private areas.

I am by no means against public breastfeeding. However, if a female MP is in the House of Commons, they are at work. Surely, no one should be bringing a baby to work with them?
Reply 43
There is one perhaps unexpected result - positive or negative - that this would have.

MPs would be morally bound to keep the noise down
Can't help but find it slightly ironic that people are calling this unprofessional whilst PMQs is still a thing.
Doesn't surprise me this came from a man in the DUP 🙄.

I would question why a woman would need to breastfeed in the House of Commons, but she shouldn't be prevented from doing so if necessary and she does it discreetly (ie doesn't use it as a way to distract other MPs during debates or).

I don't agree with his points that it should only be done in private either.
They can go somewhere else in the HoC to breastfeed my God some of you women get so catty.
Im all for breastfeeding in public, if a baby's gotta eat then baby's gotta eat idgaf! But babies and children shouldn't be in the House of Commons, or any work place like that. IMO its unprofessional for the baby to be there in the first place, the breastfeeding im fine with
Reply 48
Original post by Seamus123
This is the 21st century and women in politics are on the up. Why should a mother who needs to feed her child sit in a toilet to do the most natural thing in the world, and how do you come to the conclusion that it's 'unprofessional?'
I'm assuming that the majority of you here are young people who don't have children. And why should she compromise her beliefs of breastfeeding v bottle to satisfy the prudish views of people who don't like it?
Times are changing. Get used to it.

Why should someone go to the toilet? It's natural so why not do that in the HoC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending