The Student Room Group

Engineering vs Business and Economics

Hi,

I am set to study Electrical Engineering this September at Newcastle Uni, however, I am not sure if I wish to pursue engineering as a career when i graduate. I chose it because I know that you could apply to all the business/finance type jobs with an engineering degree, but know the reverse is not true.

My question is, would I be hindering myself by studying Engineering degree? And what do employers think of them?

I am worried that I would be seen as too nerdy, with poor social/soft skills when compared to someone who might have studied finance/business/economics etc...

Any replies and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
The career options with an Engineering degree are much wider and more exciting than economics.
This is my opinion however.
Reply 2
Yes options will be wider but will you enjoy your degree? If you don't want to go into it whats the point? Are there are chances of you wanting to go into engineering?
Reply 3
Original post by uh5rc
Yes options will be wider but will you enjoy your degree? If you don't want to go into it whats the point? Are there are chances of you wanting to go into engineering?

Thanks for your reply

I am interested in engineering, but perhaps I am more interested in the job prospects and the fact there is a 'demand' for engineers. I interviewed for Cummins Generator technologies for a scholarship this week, when i was there I was shown around the factory and realised the other candidates seemed to really love it and i wasn't so sold. It is this that has made me wonder if an engineering career is really for me
Reply 4
Original post by taylor199393
Thanks for your reply

I am interested in engineering, but perhaps I am more interested in the job prospects and the fact there is a 'demand' for engineers. I interviewed for Cummins Generator technologies for a scholarship this week, when i was there I was shown around the factory and realised the other candidates seemed to really love it and i wasn't so sold. It is this that has made me wonder if an engineering career is really for me

An engineering degree can also lead to a wide variety of analytical careers, as well as general business careers. It's a good degree to have...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you don't ever see yourself going into engineering, don't study it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending